Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Expert Console - cannot open or do anything

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tue49462

tue49462

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hi,

Stupidly, I downloaded what I thought was a pdf file and got this sort of malware. My computer rebooted itself after downloading it, and now whenever I access my account the entire screen is white and this fake "Windows Expert Console," virus detection pop-up is the only thing that's there and nothing else works.

I cannot see or access anything, my desktop and toolbar included. I can hit ctrl-alt-delete, but task manager will not open (or will sort of 'shudder' and disappear) so the only thing I can do is log off or switch users.

I'm using my guest account now to access the internet. Everything works here fine, except I cannot do a system restore because I don't have the right permissions. I can't do a whole lot on this account because of permissions--and if try to do anything while my user account is open (ie, I switched users and did not log off) anything I had open will close and I cannot open or do anything else on this account, although the desktop here looks normal.

I have RougeKill and MalwareBytes but have been unable to open them while the virus is up, even in Safemode with Networking (literally nothing but the pop-up shows up or is available to me). I tried running MalwareBytes on this guest account, but it does not detect anything.

I'm at my wit's ends. I cannot use task manager, start, or the internet while on my user account normally or in safemode. It's just a white screen with this pop-up.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

Reboot your computer into safe mode with networking.

Once in safe mode with networking, follow the directions given here for changing the proxy setting: Windows Premium Console Removal Guide

Download iExplore.exe (RKill)  and follow the instructions for using it and MBAM given in my first link above.

Since you already have MBAM you should be able to update it if RKill was successful in killing the processes of the malware.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users