Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Couldn't update to windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ananddangade

ananddangade

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:47 AM

Error 0xC1900101-0x40017 trying to install 8.1
Hi ... I was in the process of downloading 8.1 and I notice it was just over 2gb . This was taking for ever so I left my laptop alone only to find a black screen . It just stay that way for hours . So I did the power down option and restart . I did see a message saying it was going to retry the download process again , something along those words, but again it just went to a black screen . I left it like that for about an hour . I did the power down again but the next reboot it said it was going to install my prior installment back . Once that was done I got that error message above . 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:16 AM

sleep mode error it seems, big issue over at microsoft support right now.  This stems from two things.

1.  before the update the drivers and programs were not updated to the newest ones.  Or Nivia or Intel was not updated before the upgrade.

2.  You computer issued a sleep command during the install and broken your computer.

Lets see what is what.

1.  First off did you update all the BIOS (if needed and either Intell or Nivdia) ?  If not that is the issue, just depending on the BIOS or computer manufacturer there are different ways to get into BIOS to check.  Turn off the computer, or hold the Power Button for 10 secs or so and release (assuming you dont have the ability to get to Windows OS.

Then turn the computer back on.  As it boots you will press a F Key, it will show up for a second right as windows starts BIOS. 

Here is a list of the some manufactures F Key to press. you want the BIOS option so for Dell Press F12.

Dell
http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=&l=&s=&docid=DSN_300428
F12 or 0 if your computer has no F12

HP
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01442956#N75
(F1) System Information
(F2) System Diagnostics
(F7) HP SpareKey
(F9) Boot Device Options (F10) BIOS Setup
(F11) System Recovery for Consumer Notebooks
(F11) System Recovery for Business Notebooks
(F12) Network Boot

Asus

1. esc = Boot drive options, and BIOS setup.
2. F2 = BIOS setup
3. F8 = Options for "safe mode"
4. F9 = System recovery (will start the recovery from the "hidden recovery partition".
5. Delete = BIOS setup

Also on WIn 8, you have to start the computer go into windows then

1. Open the charms, and go to the PC Settings application, select the General category and click the Restart now button under Advanced startup. Your computer will restart and you’ll enter the Windows 8s boot options menu, where you can access the UEFI BIOS and change other settings.

2. You can also hold Shift while clicking Restart in the shut down menu to restart your computer into the boot options menu. This is a quick way to restart into the boot options menu, as you can access the Shut Down button from the Charms anywhere on your system.

Acer/samsung

F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS
or F2 and FN key, or F2.
Overall most require F5, F2, F10 or F12.  But you have to get into it some how, and from there try the testing tools, if it comes back good, when Refresh or Recover to get you system back up.

Then get into BIOS and check for Updates, if any, if there is let it do its thing and see if the install start again, but make sure you watch it and ever 2 to 3 mins touch the screen or move your mouse.  Or this will happen again.

NOT WORKING STILL

STEP 2

Then we need to check to see if the Sleep mode is still making if act bad.

Using the same steps as above get into BIOS, and again you can try the SHIFT key pressed and restart

Win 8

The shift key will work too, just hold bleep while the computer is on, press power button and keeing shift help let it boot up again.

Now do this from TomsIT Pro

What you are looking for is

To check your computer's BIOS interrupt the initial boot phase, the special key is usually F2 or the delete key, else try the spacebar.

To check your computer's BIOS interrupt the initial boot phase, the special key is usually F2 or the delete key, else try the spacebar. If all else fails read the boot screen! Once you have intercepted the BIOS boot, just examine carefully any options which could enable / disable Sleep. The settings are usually,
S3 - Suspend to RAM (Sleep)
or
S4 Suspend to Disk (Hibernate)

Idea: See if there any updates for your BIOS. If so a later version may cure your sleep problems.

REBOOT AND SEE IF IT GOES, NO STILL

So you need to do this to go back to WIN 8

1.  Restore, Refresh, or reboot your system.  Go to here for the steps and the differences between the 3,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

NOTE all of these will take you back to win 8 but REBOOT will delete all your files from the computer.

STEP ONE SHOULD FIX YOUR ISSUE, FIX NOT CONTINUE WITH THE NEXT STEPS

2.  Use the RECOVERY disc and go from there.  You made a reovery disc right?  NO.   OK I got you covered.  You can use any windows 8 boot disc for REBOOT, but if you dont have one go here

http://support.kaspersky.com/8093

Download and burn the disc to DVD.  Put in your computer and reboot,

WAIT IT TAKES UP TO 10 15 MINS TO LOAD, A LONG TIME, YOU WILL SEE DOTS OR NOTHING HAPPENING AFTER YOU START IT.  GIVE IT A HR AND IF NOT WORKING REBOOT AND TRY AGAIN.

follow the instructions, but do NOT CHECK C drive just do the defalut ones first, if that does not work do the Whole thing.  I say this because it took my Computer 1 day and 6 hrs to complete and I have one HD with 250 GB on it, so beware.

After any issues are found, if any, then exit the program and let it reboot from windows, or the disc.  Let me know what you find and save the scan results and post them here please.

Edited by czarboom, 25 November 2013 - 04:17 AM.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 Dell-Jesse L

Dell-Jesse L

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

ananddangade,

If your system hasn't been upgraded to Windows 8.1 due to the error you are receiving can you please try the upgrade again to see if it worked for you? Please post back letting us know.

Thank You,

Dell-Jesse L

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

Jesse L,

I forgot the simple and easy logical solution you presented when I posted.  HA, brain fried.  Totally forgot to try it again.  :hysterical:

Great idea, should of thought of that.  DUH!  with luck he got it the easy way.

good post

later

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users