Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestion --

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MochiiMon

MochiiMon

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

I know that BC doesn't have many volunteers or a limited amount due to the fact that everyone has a life, vacations etc but not only that the demand is higher then the supply capbility. However, I noticed in the Virus Malware Removel etc Forum that there is no organization at all even within the posts.

I think you should set up the Forum a little more technical..

Like, if someone knows their Virus, '' Trojan virus etc'' spot.

Next a ''No Access Rookkit spot''

So not only are you capable of doing the first post on these, but you also know the level of trouble someone is in.

I read everything you guys post like.. '' Do not post here if your computer is running slow'' So face it.. some moron or slow person or someone that just doesn't understand is going to unfortunately post in your Virus, Malware Removal section...

So make a spot SPECIFICALLY for that if they title it ''Slow computer'' only or etc. And weed those not so needed out as well.

Now it can get confusing because someone can say slow computer and end up with Rookkit.. either A switch it to proper category or B When someone starts working on the problem and notices it belongs in Rookkit or Trojan, to immediately switch it(one of the staff should do this).

Thinking about it now, it seems complicated but at the same time, it'll help organize a bit I think.

Also if you have to, if you cannot do by name Viruses.. Attempt Months..

October, November etc.

So your staff knows exactly to go to the month before last and whoever posts in that month and attempt to immediately take care of those issues instead of fishing through it all. I don't know your forum set up and if you can click ''This months posts, last months posts etc'' usually only an admin can do that.. but just food for thoughts. Let me know what you guys think.

Edited by MochiiMon, 25 November 2013 - 12:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Someone else can address your suggestions for changes to the system. The only thing I will say about it is that the system in place works very well for Bleeping Computer.

I will address this

I read everything you guys post like.. '' Do not post here if your computer is running slow'' So face it.. some moron or slow person or someone that just doesn't understand is going to unfortunately post in your Virus, Malware Removal section...

The person you consider to be a "moron" is a REAL person with REAL computer problems he/she wants to fix. They are often NEW posters and have no clue where to post. Many of them have no technical skills so of course they won't "understand". Not knowing does not make someone a "moron" or "slow". We are here to guide them, educate them on the workings of a forum and help them. We are not here to make judgments about someone who posts in the wrong forum and call them derogatory names for doing so.

Yes, there are many causes for a slow computer. Infection is one of them and if they are concerned that might be the issue we will work with them to rule out infection, then move on to trying other things. On the flip side, they may not know infection is a possibilty so we will dirct them to the proper malware removal forum.

From the Bleeping Computer rules http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 November 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#3 MochiiMon

MochiiMon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

In regards to your response, it was not my intention to cause ''inflammatory'' responses and if I have, I will apologize and for the forum sake, I will also correspond with the rules in respect and much more from here on out. However, I will say this and I am not arguing mind you just because I'm replying back, I'm actually just stating this casually so please take note because some do take ''Just responding back'' as those ''oh this person is arguing now etc'' instead of debating or merely stating an opinion etc and I'm not saying you don't understand this, I am sure you do, I just wanted to clarify.

With your rules, you're restricting constitutional rights as far as freedom of speech, pursuit of happiness etc because although you're attempting to protect your members which I appreciate, you're also offending others and their ability to say what they want. That is a law/constitution still in effect. Everything tells us we cannot please everybody unfortunately though. I'm actually disturbed by this response not because you're defending your members or going by the rules and guidlines of the forum but for the fact you're treating me as a person intended to hurt someone merely off of one word that is an insult that actually simply slipped out which you could only judge in the way you did but the fact is, YOU just judged me as a bad guy evne though it wasn't a whole hearted attempt verus looking or understanding me more on the matter.  However you say there are no judgements made, I don't believe that because you just judged me.

Being on the internet all these years, you're bound to say something rudely, negatively etc mind you.

Just because I say this insult doesn't mean I don't understand they are not REAL PEOPLE, I get that and real people insult each other each day, behind each others backs, to each others faces either way, we're all insulting or being insulted. PEOPLE in general are negative and it is a very nasty trait might I add, I feel ashamed for supplying it at that moment. This is everyday life for nearly everyone though, NO ONE goes without a negative, insulting thought or word said to someone. I was technically only pointing out the fact that these people indeed are ''lacking intelligence or common sense.'' because they aren't reading ahead of time and I could of said it a better and nicer way but isn't far from the truth. By the definition of Moron which leads into the definition ''Stupid'' I judged them and placed them. Am I wrong for stating the truth?  ''Not knowing'' is usually a lack of common sense or therefore completely without which can be considered ''Stupid''.

I was ''Not knowing'' or rather knew the rules, recall them and slipped up and said something that sparked your correcting on the matter. I made a mistake in which I have/am apologizing for. ''They are often NEW posters and have no clue where to post'' I was new and read that before I posted, although that may be the case, what is the reason for them doing it? Other then not reading and making a mistake which yes, I could have been nice and ignored so I apologize to all those members as well.

Anyways, point being, I slipped up and do apologize if I hurt those around me but at the same time, I'm a person to which has a right to speak in anyway I so choose and it is within your right to say '' your stupid as well'' or to say something back. Although I even dislike insults etc I've learned to over come them, that is the apart of being a ''Real person'', learning to adapt, making mistakes, correcting them etc. We all go through it.

Queen Evie -  Thank you, also have a good day today.

Edited by MochiiMon, 25 November 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Freedom of speech applies only to the government NOT restricting it.

Freedom of speech also does not apply to private property, which Bleeping Computer is. Owners of property have to the right to make the rules, and Grinler did just that. There are reasons for the rules.

I won't say anything else about that subject because this is not the place for it. Suffice it to say I and others enforce the rules.

I did not judge you as a bad guy, I made no judgements at all about you. My purpose was to let you know what the rules are here.

#5 MochiiMon

MochiiMon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

It is government true or Public Affairs, it would be Public Affair considering if no one could say insulting words, the whole world would be upset or if you restricted them on it even those that don't use it, hate being restricted. You take something from someone, no matter who it is, they want it back. Humans are greedy in nature sadly enough.  I would say at least half the world would be upset considering.   Correction I should have said more clearly, ''Freedom of expression'' that pertains to this more and reviewing it says nothing about ''Private Property'' being exempted from people not being capable of expressing themselves even if Private Property.

I'll read up on that though. Either way, you get what I was saying and in the ball park. Overall, even if Private Property, you're not allowed or shouldn't be for that matter to restrict someones speech at all. Even if private property, image going to someones elses house and not being able to say anything at all, just because they said and it is their house. That isn't right and it is that type of logic that hurts people more then a insult.

Of course there are reason for rules, I don't deny that but rules have their ups and downs as stated before/semi insinuated.

You let me know what the rules are but you did make judgements about me, thinking I didn't understand there was real people here. That is a judgement and presumption.

Judgement -''the ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions.''  You came to the ''Sensible Conclusion'' or mind you what your best attempt was, that I didn't realize ''Real people'' were here.

As far as the bad guy thing, I suppose so but at the same time, the way you thought of me was in a semi-bad way as far as thinking I was here to harm people via insult in the least which would make me ''The bad guy'' but that isn't your intent I see.

Edited by MochiiMon, 25 November 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#6 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hello MochiiMon, and thanks for the suggestion.

However, I noticed in the Virus Malware Removel etc Forum that there is no organization at all even within the posts.

No offense, but this couldn't be further from the truth! Being a regular member, you do not see what type of system we have in place here. The Malware Response Team has access to Logbot, an application that scans the forum every 5 minutes and reports every new topic that gets posted in the Malware Removal Logs sub-forum. At any given time, we could check and see exactly how many open logs we have, and see exactly how long each person has been waiting.

Also if you have to, if you cannot do by name Viruses.. Attempt Months..

October, November etc.

So your staff knows exactly to go to the month before last and whoever posts in that month and attempt to immediately take care of those issues instead of fishing through it all. I don't know your forum set up and if you can click ''This months posts, last months posts etc'' usually only an admin can do that..

We already have this capability as well, using again, the aforementioned Logbot program. We could do quite a bit more with the program as well.

Although what you're proposing could be a good idea and could work for certain forums and situations, the organization that we currently have in place here at BC works quite well...more so than on other forums.

==========

One of the biggest problems with separating logs as you suggest, is that a large number of members asking for help have absolutely no idea what they are infected with, or if they are infected at all. Just as Queen-Evie mentioned, a slow computer could be caused by a great many things, and many members are trying to find out just what that cause could be.

One of the instructions in the Preparation Guide is to post the log from a scan tool, that allows the helper to analyze the machine, identify exactly which infection is present, and formulate a plan of attack to eradicate any present malware. It's the trained malware fighters we have here that will decide if the problem is malware related or if the topic is better located in another sub-forum.

==========

So as you can see, we already have a good system in place to help us keep track of all of our malware topics...you just aren't able to see it. The suggestion to make the system better is much appreciated, but that may complicate things and cause even more work for the staff.

Regards,

bloopie

#7 MochiiMon

MochiiMon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Understood. Yeah just from viewing it looks dissaray but doesn't necessarily make it so.

Well good luck guys.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

I'll make this real simple for you regarding freedom of speech rights. Because this is a private forum that you need to register at to post, freedom of speech rights do not extend here. You can look all over the web and that fact will be independently verified for you. Just one exmaple here. You agreed to waive those rights when you agreed to the Terms of Service. In the event that you did not read the Terms of Use agreement, it's even clearer at the bottom of the Forum Rules page. I'll even save you the trouble and quote it for you.

When posting you agree that the administrators and the moderators of this forum has the right to modify, delete, edit or close any topic, signature, account, or profile data at any time that they see fit. If you have any questions concerning this, please do not start a new thread, but rather private message to an administrator or moderator.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users