OK, my beloved FireFox has been FUBAR for months now, and I'm tired of making do with Chrome. I've tried my own research to no avail, and followed a number of similar posts in these forums, but I'm not really able to tell if those instructions apply to me. And I've noticed that my niece's computer is having the same issue, so I'm hoping that in fixing my problem I can learn how to help her fix hers. So I guess it's time to humbly ask for help... =\
Here are the details:
- Windows XP Pro with SP3
- Firefox 20.0.1
- Roughly 50% of the time I click on Google search results, or in fact just about any link on any page, it goes somewhere else.
- It ONLY affects FireFox, not Chrome or IE.
Thinks I have tried:
- Completely removing and reinstalling Firefox. Did not help whatsoever.
- Original attempts showed that Firefox settings were altered to use some external site as a proxy. I disabled this and it seemed to fix the problem for a while, but then it came back.
- Unintalled Java and reinstalled the latest version.
- Ran Mcaffee (which was active and up-to-date when this first appeared), MS Security essentials, all sorts of (trusted/well-known) scanners, Malware Bytes, Spybot search & destroy, Super Anti Spyware, adwCleaner, ComboFix, probably others. I can post those logs if it'd be helpful.
The fact that various scanners have not removed it, and that uninstalling firefox didn't help, make me think that it must be a full-blown virus. Help?