Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

javascript-dependent link / redirect malware affecting only FireFox

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AgentFriday

AgentFriday

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

OK, my beloved FireFox has been FUBAR for months now, and I'm tired of making do with Chrome.  I've tried my own research to no avail, and followed a number of similar posts in these forums, but I'm not really able to tell if those instructions apply to me.  And I've noticed that my niece's computer is having the same issue, so I'm hoping that in fixing my problem I can learn how to help her fix hers.  So I guess it's time to humbly ask for help... =\

Here are the details:

- Windows XP Pro with SP3

- Firefox 20.0.1

- Roughly 50% of the time I click on Google search results, or in fact just about any link on any page, it goes somewhere else.

- Certain pages (including the bleepingcomputer.com signup page, for which I have to enable javascript) spontaneously show in-page popup ads and sometimes redirect.

- I am able to browse certain .html reference files on my local machine with no ill effects, presumably because they do not contain javascript.

- Disabling JavaScript seems to completely prevent the problem.

- It ONLY affects FireFox, not Chrome or IE.

Thinks I have tried:

- Completely removing and reinstalling Firefox.  Did not help whatsoever.

- Original attempts showed that Firefox settings were altered to use some external site as a proxy.  I disabled this and it seemed to fix the problem for a while, but then it came back.

- Unintalled Java and reinstalled the latest version.

- Ran Mcaffee (which was active and up-to-date when this first appeared), MS Security essentials, all sorts of (trusted/well-known) scanners, Malware Bytes, Spybot search & destroy, Super Anti Spyware, adwCleaner, ComboFix, probably others.  I can post those logs if it'd be helpful.

The fact that various scanners have not removed it, and that uninstalling firefox didn't help, make me think that it must be a full-blown virus.  Help?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

Having run ComboFix we no need to see that log and a DDS log from this guide.

Please follow this Preparation Guide, do steps 6,7 and 8 and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users