Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes- screen goes on the fritz

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

I was working on my computer a few months ago and stupidly left the power plugged in when I was installing my video card.  I saw a small spark...

The fan doesn't spin when I play a video game, unless I push it manually, and then it will spin up and play fine without over heating.

The main problem is it will randomly crash if I'm not playing a game.

I'm sure the problem would be solved with a new card, but I'm wondering if this might have caused a problem with the motherboard itself.

I know that isn't much to go on, but any insights would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hi, the only way to check is using the video card on another PC or as you might suspect is replacing the card itself. Maybe borrowing a low end video card would not be a bad option either.

Tekken

#3 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

I think I have some at the shop, just haven't had a chance to get to it.  One thing that leads me to believe it's the card, atm, is the fact that it operates the same way in both pci-e slots and I don't see any POST or pre boot animations.  Video doesn't kick in until the login screen is up...

I'll have to find out next week.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

Sounds like ESD damage, but this sort of thing is so random and ambiguous that's its impossible to nail down. If you test the card in another system and it performs EXACTLY the same way, and a new card works perfectly in your current system, then it's least likely you have any considerable motherboard damage. 

#5 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

Yeah, I did see a small arc when I was reinstalling the card...  Stupid me left he power plugged in and didn't discharge the system.

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

You dont need to unplug the system, i never do as i turn the power off and leave the cable in so it has an earth. Not having an earth will make it spark but if you think the card is playing up then i would simply reflash the card with a ROM, i have brough cards from the dead using this method but not having access to the screen duing BIOS would be a little harder so i would use onboard for that so you can see and then simply re-flash the GFX card witha  newer version or tweaked version of the cards ROM. I think techpowerup is the name of the site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users