Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not recognizing External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NOTTHEFACE

NOTTHEFACE

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite c55-a5242 Laptop running Windows 8. I had an Asus A53U laptop running well a while back until it was dropped and the hard drive crapped out. I have been attempting to view the state of the new hard drive (Western Digital Blue 750GB LCPX) and possibly install Windows 7 back onto this new drive via my Toshiba. Using a hard drive caddy, nothing appears on My Computer, nor Computer/Disk Management. The hard drive spins up and sounds like it is operating w/o any strange noises, but I can't seem to find it located on my computer as being connected to my laptop. Please help, any suggestions are welcome.

JDR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Try this: Press [Winkey][R], type in diskmgmt.msc and press [Enter]. Scroll down and find the new drive, right-click it and create a partition, then format the partition.

Edited by SpywareDoc, 25 November 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#3 Tiempo

Tiempo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hello! I hope I got you right. If your hard drive is new, there some instances that windows won't detect it, because it is RAW. Try to restart your PC enter your bios, from there check if the bios detects it. If so, boot back in windows normally. Sometimes a simple restart solves this kind of problem. Then follow SpywareDocr's advice.

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

Since the OP is "Using a hard drive caddy", which presumably is connected via USB, it may well not show up in the BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users