Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help.. Graphics card or what??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NinjaKitty

NinjaKitty

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I recently replaced the base (including everything but the screen and hard drive) of my Dell Inspirion E1505. It worked fine for two days, besides getting hot really fast. But then it started having screen problems. It would just shut off. No warning. and the computer itself would become unresponsive. At first, I thought it was because I hadn't installed the software for the "new" Graphics card. (The "New" one was replacing one with an integrated video card) an AMD Mobility (cant remember specifics.) Downloaded and installed the hardware profile and after that, the screen would not stay on AT all. Sometimes it would stay on if I removed the hard drive, but that was hit and miss. Even when I plugged it into an external monitor, nothing would show up at all. I know it isn't the screen itself because I tested it on another laptop and it worked just fine.

Maybe this is what I get for buying from some random person on Ebay? I asked the person about it and they never responded. 

Help, Please :)

Edit: Wrong Card brand... 

Edited by NinjaKitty, 24 November 2013 - 09:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Since it is getting really hot really fast have you checked the fans?

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

You neglected to mention WHY you replaced everything. Was there an issue to begin with?

Did you upgrade any component? Was the GFX an upgrade, spec-wise?

Are the fans running? All the time or just sporadically?

Did you flash the BIOS?

It's also slightly possible that you may have loosened the solder near the GFX chip. But probably not.

#4 NinjaKitty

NinjaKitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

I replaced the laptop base because the old one got water spilt on it. It's a whole "new" computer.

I checked the fans, removed every speck of anything I could find. It still ran hot. I had to manually turn the fans on for it to cool down with a program. When I did that, It stopped overheating. (Obviously..) 

Haven't messed with the bios.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

So the fans are not running at boot? Sounds like you don't have automatic fan control...

The only other time that I've run into this issue is with improperly overclocked systems. If the CPU speed is set to high it will trigger an error that will stop the system from booting. There are vendor-specific settings in some systems that won't allow CPU speeds beyond a certain level.

Edited by Netghost56, 27 November 2013 - 09:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users