Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 back up feature

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

Is the backup feature in Win 7 any good?  Did a search and could find nothing here on it.

I have been using Syncback and Acronis True image.  I use several externals so I have space for the actual files.  I like Syncback since I have space.  Acronis has worked well in the past but got very buggy so I'm off of it.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Acronis is what Win 7 uses...I've used it just to make images. Then switched to Seagate's Disk Wizard which is an Acronis product.

Switched to the Disk Wizard because it makes a complete hdd image of dual boot installs. I'm satisfied with it.

Just home usage...don't need daily or hourly backups. Just a once a month or so new image....when I think to do it. :)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

There's a good article here about free backup software....

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-backup-software-11-programs-we-recommend-1137924

I use Backup PC here... but have a server, so it's slightly different.

#4 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

Thanks to you both for the info.  I will investigate.  I'm a firm believer in regular backups.  Acronis helped my restore my system after a HDD failure in October of 2012.  It was strictly my docs, photos, etc.  The system looked liked what I lost by the time I restored everything.  Thanks again.

#5 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

There's a good article here about free backup software....

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-backup-software-11-programs-we-recommend-1137924

I use Backup PC here... but have a server, so it's slightly different.

fwrc6d.jpg post, thanks for the link :)  Good writeup's and links to the freeware all at one convenient link.  That's one's bookmarked.

After reading that page, I downloaded one of those items (ISO only) that I'd not seen before, "Redo".  I booted that one up last night and I like the simplicity of the layout with that tool.  I'll give that one a try at my next routine image or clone.  I noticed that this tool has basic formatting and partitioning options in the tool which I like as I always remove the partitions on my Target HDD before cloning/imaging. 

Thanks to you both for the info.  I will investigate.  I'm a firm believer in regular backups.  Acronis helped my restore my system after a HDD failure in October of 2012.  It was strictly my docs, photos, etc.  The system looked liked what I lost by the time I restored everything.  Thanks again.

Hi from another Texan :).  I'm the same, backups are worth their weight in gold.

I also use Acronis (2011) to clone periodically.  I've recently learned more about imaging and have used "Macrium Reflect" (free ver) with good results although there was a learning curve on my part with the ISO build for their free WinPE 3.1 boot media. 

It worked but not exactly as I'd expected in that I needed to burn dedicated CD's for my PC's as well as a family member's PC.  I had wanted one CD to boot on multiple machines and that may be possible since there's a good chance that the issue is the user (me) :) .

However, I've tested both of my machines with the Macrium WinPE CD and have imaged and recovered full-disk bootable HDD's with both PC's.

I initially downloaded a standalone ISO for Macrium's WinPE but that didn't boot on my PC's so I installed the program onto my HDD and created the Rescue CD from there and that worked good.

I did find that, when using the cloning option with the Macrium Free WinPE CD, it's a little tricky to tick the boxes in the correct order during the setup for cloning.

When I was viewing a couple of YouTube tutorials about cloning with Macrium, their instructions didn't work for me, ie, dragging and dropping partitions vs cloning a completely bootable HDD.

Bottom line is that I got it to work with successful results on my 2 machines.

I've also used "Clonezilla" for a couple of my clones but haven't tested it with imaging yet.

With Acronis cloning, that's already paid off a couple of times for me during the past couple of years where I was hit with a malware/virus, etc.  That's why I prefer a dual approach to backups, ie,  a full-disk completely bootable replacement HDD (or image) available in addition to a daily automatic backup routine.  I use my Acronis scheduler to backup a few of those must-have's twice daily so they're near real-time items in the event that I need to install the cloned HDD for a full-HDD recovery situation.

I used to run a Raid 1 config on the Desktop PC but discontinued that approach due to an unrelated issue (intermittent bad memory stick issue).

I didn't rebuild the array after that since Raid 1 won't protect me from a malware/virus intrusion and that's one of my primary reasons for cloning and imaging along with protection against a HDD failure or user mistake.

#6 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the additional info Scoop. Acronis TrueImage 2011 is what I was using also. It got to where every time the process started it would fail so I gave up on it. Looking at your avatar would lend me to think you may be looking forward to Comet ISON. Of course the weather hasn't been conducive to sightings for the past week or so.

#7 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the additional info Scoop. Acronis TrueImage 2011 is what I was using also. It got to where every time the process started it would fail so I gave up on it. Looking at your avatar would lend me to think you may be looking forward to Comet ISON. Of course the weather hasn't been conducive to sightings for the past week or so.

2yv1geu.jpg.  The backup/restore scene can be a little frustrating until one learns a few things about the differences with the various programs and their quirks in setting them up.

I've had a few hiccups with Acronis as well but only with the scheduler and not the cloning or imaging processes.

Occasionally, the Scheduler will "lose itself" and requires a restart but for me, it's a very infrequent issue.

I check my external HDD every morning to insure that the overnight backup ran ok.

16jj4fo.jpg

↓

Comet ISON, yes, you guessed that one right :).  It will reach "perihelion", the closest approach to the Sun this week on 11/28 U.S. time and will be at the brightest view in the northern hemisphere beginning 12/01 in the predawn hours, about 1/2 hour before sunrise, low on the horizon.

This assumes that the Sun's gravitational pull won't break up the comet before it begins it's outbound travel past the Earth.  That's the big question for now.

If that doesn't happen this one could be a real treat for us "geeks" :).  The viewing window for us will be Dec 1 thru the 17th as it rises in height in the predawn sky each night.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

FWIW:  If you are already familiar with Macrium Reflect...it will also offer backup and clone capabilities...and deleting/formatting is included in the software options.

Louis

#9 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

FWIW:  If you are already familiar with Macrium Reflect...it will also offer backup and clone capabilities...and deleting/formatting is included in the software options.

Louis

Thanks,  I'll see if I can find the formatting/delete partition options.  I haven't seen them with the Free version but I was looking for those options as standalone options, not in the setup dialog screens before cloning/imaging.

#10 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

Looking forward to ISON if it holds together.  Went out one morning last week and couldn't spot it and haven't had a clear sky since.  Here's a photo I took of PANSTARRS back in March.  With all the ISON hype I really hoped to get some better of it.

Mod Edit:  Removed graphic not related to topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 27 November 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

I guess as the OP you're allowed to post completely off topic... lol.

Nice pic.

#12 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:52 AM

I guess as the OP you're allowed to post completely off topic... lol.

Nice pic.

You are correct I probably shouldn't have.  Thanks for being of good humor about it.  Comets excite me. (grins).  If the mods want to take it down I completely understand.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

I don't think the mistress is that harsh about people spamming their own threads...

I wish I was in the northern hemisphere for the few days it is about... Not even going to get a glimpse down here.

#14 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

I ended up buying a new Seagate external because my Lacie had gone bad.  I haven't had much luck using the Windows backup for some reason.  I am downloading Macrium to give it a try.  I will probably get Syncback as I like the option to backup files that I can open and don't have to restore.

#15 PeterQ

PeterQ

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

I use windows7 backup every night on to a internal HDD and have done a restore from system image with no problems whatsoever, I don't know why others have gone to software elsewhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users