Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone want my boat anchor?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dash1730

Dash1730

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

I’m having grief with my The HP Pavillion tower, and need some advice.

History of the machine

The screen intermittently blacks out, and will not come back until I do a cold reboot.  It does this when the computer is whether multi-tasking or not, being single-tasked with 4-5 different programs, when it is setting idle, and when it is in sleep mode.  It has gone as long as 2 months without incident and as short as 90 minutes for 4 lockups.   The same problems occur using a different monitor.

18 months ago I paid a little over $600 for this machine, specifically to avoid cheap crap.  It ran the first 5 months before failing, but since then the machine locks up intermittently.

The last time it went down I could not reboot the machine at all for about a week.  I tried it one more time before boxing it up, and it has worked fine since then for about a week.  I’m sure this is unrelated and can be reliably fixed by replacing the switch. But this is yet one more hassle.

Steps taken to solve the problem

2 months of HP tech support over the phone and electronically connecting to my machine.

(I spent 5-10 hours a week running their diagnostics)

Twice I overnighted the tower to HP (at their expense)

They replaced the video card 

They replaced the motherboard

I have escellated this problem to the highest tech support level HP has.  But 3 major attempts have have failed to solve this problem. I am growing weary of having the computer run reliably only the first 5 months and then intermittently fail for the next 13months.

I have 2 questions:

1. Am I unreasonable in expecting $600+ to buy a reliable machine?
  2. Am I unreasonable in expecting HP to replace or refund my money? They refused, offering only to look at it again.

Details of the tower:

I bought the tower April 2012 with a 2 year warranty over the net directly from HP.

The HP Pavillion H8-1200z with 6 MB RAM and 2 internal HD of a terabyte each. 

The processor is AMD FX 6100 Six-Core Processor 3.3 GHZ

Edited by Dash1730, 24 November 2013 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lockjack

Lockjack

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

For $600 I took an old case and put in an i7 3770k on a new asrock motherboard with 8 gigs of crucial ballistix ram and a new power supply to run it. Also 840 samsung ssd 240 gig. It was right at $600 and that bought me a new dvd player too. This doesn't include windows though. Place in Kansas City I got all the parts.http://www.microcenter.com/. You get better brices instore than online. The only computer I would buy from a company like HP would be a laptop. I think I would get the Thinkpad though if I had the money.

Yes

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

$600 equates roughly to £UK 400. For that money I would expect a reasonable quality reasonably reliable computer.

Consumer law varies so much from one jurisdiction to another I could not offer an opinion on your second point. Certainly, in the UK - and to my knowledge, anywhere in the EU - you would have been entitled to a replacement about 9 months ago. In the UK, the grounds would have been 'Not fit for purpose.'.

The problem, from your point of view, is that for $600 it isn't worth hiring a lawyer - or do you have any equivalent of the Small Claims Court in Texas where you can bring cases like this yourself, very, very cheaply ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users