Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Screen and Desktop switch to each other in a continuous loop

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 darkgreen_orange

darkgreen_orange

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hello all,

I've got an issue with the Windows 8 interface that I'm pretty sure was caused by me installing the latest version of my antivirus program, AVG. I had AVG Free 2013, and when it prompted me to install the latest update to AVG 2014, I did so. Then it asked me to restart my computer, which I did. That's when the problems started.

When it restarted, it gave me the screens as if I was starting up a new computer; intro screens on how to use Windows 8 and such. I knew that wasn't right, so I switched the computer off by holding down the power button. In retrospect, this seems like it was a stupid thing to do, because the next time I booted up the computer, it started acting funny,

It took me to the login screen like normal (no Windows 8 intro screens). I put in my password and it took about 15-20 seconds to start up, a little longer than usual. Then when it took me to the Home Screen, I noticed that all my usual apps were gone. I only had a split second to look at this screen though, because then it took me to a screen with just a blank purple background. After a couple of seconds, the screen turns black with the outline of the gray taskbar at the bottom of the screen, as if the desktop app is trying to start. But after one second of that, it takes me back to the Home Screen, blank screen, desktop, then Home Screen again in loop. The whole thing lasts maybe 8 seconds or so and repeats.

Any idea what I can do about this? Again, I'm pretty sure this is connected to me installing a new version of AVG but I'm not sure what to do about it.

I can still use CTRL+ALT+Delete and start the task manager. From the task manager I can start applications, which is how I started my browser and am posting this message now. When I started Firefox from the task manager, it asked me whether I wanted to import bookmarks (as if it was the first time I was starting the program). But looking through my hard drive it appears that nothing has been erased, it's just the Windows interface that's messed up.

I'm not sure how to check which exact version of Windows 8 I have, but it is an HP Pavilion laptop if that helps.

Thanks in advance

It's important to note that there is a task called "Thumbnail Handler Extraction Host" (ThumbnailExtractionHost.exe) that is produced every time it goes through this loop. I'm up to about 20 of them now...

There is also the process COM Surrogate (dllhost.exe). There is one of them that stays open all the time, but a second one will appear for a couple of seconds every time it goes through this loop.

Here is the list of the names of applications that are running in the Task Manager, maybe it will shed some light on why this is happening:

Apps

Firefox (32 bit)
Notepad
Task Manager

Background processes

Adobe Acrobat Update Service (32 bit)
Adobe Flash Player 11.9 r900 (32 bit) (x2)
AVG E-mail Scanner
AVG Identity Protection Service (32 bit)
AVG Online Shield Service
AVG Resident Shield Service
AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part
AVG Watchdog Service
Bonjour Service
COM Surrogate (there is one, and then a second one will appear and disappear)
Device Association Framework Provider Host
Host Process for Setting Synchronization
Host Process for Windows Tasks
HP Quick Launch WMI Service (32 bit)
HP Support Assistant Service
HPConnectedRemoteService
HPConnectedRemoteUser
HPService
IAStorDataSvc (32 bit)
IDT PC Audio
Intel® Capability Licensing Software Interface
Intel® Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface (32 bit)
Intel® ME Service (32 bit)
Local Manageability Service (32 bit)
loggings Application (32 bit)
Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service
Microsoft Windows Search Indexer
Plugin Container for Firefox (32 bit)
Realtek Card Reader Patch Tool.
rndlresolversvc (32 bit)
Spooler SubSystem App
Thumbnail Handler Extraction Host (the longer the computer runs, the more of these that appear)
ToolbarU Application (32 bit)
User Notification Service (32 bit)
WAService (32 bit)
Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation
Windows host process (Rundll32)
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
YouCam Mirage (32 bit)

Windows Processes

Client Server Runtime Process (x2)
Console Window Host
Desktop Window Manager
Local Security Authority Process (2)
Service Host: DCOM Server Process Launcher (5)
Service Host: IIS Application Host Helper Service
Service Host: Local Service (7)
Service Host: Local Service (Network Restricted) (7)
Service Host: Local Service (No Impersonation) (5)
Service Host: Local Service (No Network) (4)
Service Host: Local Service (Peer Networking) (3)
Service Host: Local System (14)
Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted) (9)
Service Host: Network Service (4)
Service Host: Network Service (Network Restricted)
Service Host: Remote Procedure Call (2)
Service Host: Windows Error Reporting
Service Host: Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
Services and Controller app
System
System interrupts
Windows Explorer
Windows Logon Application
Windows Session Manager
Windows Start-Up Application

And here are the processes themselves (without the .exe on the end):

armsvc
avgcsrva
avgemca
avgidsagent
avgmfapx
avgnsa
avgrsa
avgwdsvc
conhost
csrss (x2)
dasHost
dllhost (x2, one starts then disappears)
dwm
explorer
HeciServer
HPConnectedRemoteService
HPConnectedRemoteUser
HPSA_Service
hpservice
HPWMISVC
IAStorDataMgrSvc
IntelMeFWService
Jhi_service
LMS
loggingserver
lsass
mDNSResponder
msiexec
RIconMan
rndlresolversvc
SearchFilterHost (only there sometimes)
SearchIndexer
SearchProtocolHost (only there sometimes)
services
SettingSyncHost
smss
spoolsv
sppsvc
stacsv64
svchost (x14)
System
System Idle Process
System interrupts
taskhostex
Taskmgr
ThumbnailExtractionHost (this is the one that keeps appearing over and over)
ToolbarUpdater
UNS
WAService
wininit
winlogon
wmpnetwk
YCMMirage

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guss78

Guss78

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

We're you able to resolve this issue?

#3 darkgreen_orange

darkgreen_orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

We're you able to resolve this issue?

No. Since I started this topic I have tried refreshing the computer using a system restore point, but no luck. Yours is the only reply I've received.

#4 Leowolf

Leowolf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

Greetings darkgreen_orange,

I was working on a Windows 8 laptop that presented an identical problem. After some playing around I was able to open the resource monitor (resmon) using the task manager. And was able to find out that if you "suspend" the "COM Surrogate (dllhost.exe)" you can gain limited access to the desktop. I was able to see the default desktop which means that there is a corruption in the user profile.

Activate the hidden Administrator account using this procedure:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-enable-disable.html

It works for Windows 7 as well as Windows 8

Then use this procedure to recover the user profile from the registry backup:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186131-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

Becareful while working on the registry. Follow the procedures to the letter and you'll be fine. Hope that helps.

-Leo-

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Sorry your question went unanswered. After enabling the root administrator account, see if the problem persists in the Administrator account. If it doesn't please post back here before making changes to your registry and ask any questions you have. If you have found a solution please let us know. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 thekenoh

thekenoh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

Hello! I signed up because I had this same problem on a client's computer, and wanted to let you know that Leowolf's suggestions worked perfectly. Using the Administrator account instead of the normal user's account stopped the rapid switching, and upon recovering the user's profile, everything was working just fine. Thanks!

#7 Grain_r

Grain_r

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hello All

I have also come accross the problem on a Sony Vaio Laptop running windows 8.1, I created a new user and the issue with the flashing desktop Background colour still ocurs, I have then started in Safe Mode and this seems fine. So must be a start-up Program or a Windows Service.

Firstly I have then stopped all of the "Start up" programs from running by using the MSconfig tool

This didn't work so Next the Slow task of disabling each Windows Service in MSconfig and restarting the laptop until the Error occurred Eventually I have found that the Cause is Odly enough the 

" Windows error reporting Service" which is the cause of the flashing on the laptop I have now Currently turned off the Service and all is well in the world, I still have to do some work to try and resolve the issues instead of a work around or weather it is another program crashing that sends odd results to the Error reporting service.

Although this has got me a working laptop without any loss of data so Worth a try.

#8 ksenter_wr

ksenter_wr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Hello All

I have also come accross the problem on a Sony Vaio Laptop running windows 8.1, I created a new user and the issue with the flashing desktop Background colour still ocurs, I have then started in Safe Mode and this seems fine. So must be a start-up Program or a Windows Service.

Firstly I have then stopped all of the "Start up" programs from running by using the MSconfig tool
This didn't work so Next the Slow task of disabling each Windows Service in MSconfig and restarting the laptop until the Error occurred Eventually I have found that the Cause is Odly enough the 
" Windows error reporting Service" which is the cause of the flashing on the laptop I have now Currently turned off the Service and all is well in the world, I still have to do some work to try and resolve the issues instead of a work around or weather it is another program crashing that sends odd results to the Error reporting service.

Although this has got me a working laptop without any loss of data so Worth a try.

Thanks! Same problem here. Disabling the Windows Error Reporting Service fixed it for me as well. Did you ever find out the actual cause? I'm about to give up and give the laptop back to the owner with the Error Reporting service disabled. I'd rather not. But it's better than explorer crashing every 1-3 seconds.

Edited by ksenter_wr, 02 April 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#9 ksenter_wr

ksenter_wr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hello All

Thanks! Same problem here. Disabling the Windows Error Reporting Service fixed it for me as well. Did you ever find out the actual cause? I'm about to give up and give the laptop back to the owner with the Error Reporting service disabled. I'd rather not. But it's better than explorer crashing every 1-3 seconds.

I may have narrowed this down a bit more.  With the Windows Error Reporting Service disabled, explorer didn't crash any more.  But I noticed occasionally I got a popup about skydrive.  So I followed some instructions I found on LifeHacker to disable the SkyDrive integration in Windows 8.1 and I reenabled Windows Error Reporting and so far explorer hasn't crashed.  So it seems to be a problem with SkyDrive.  I'm out of time to work on this laptop so I'm giving it back to the owner with SkyDrive disabled. 

#10 ste_be

ste_be

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

I had the same issue on a laptop I was repairing. I disabled error reporting as suggested, but discovered that Norton 360 was not working. After uninstalling N360 I could successfully reenable error reporting, and the issue did not recur upon reinstalling N360. No messing with user accounts required.

Edited by ste_be, 04 April 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#11 FayLynne26

FayLynne26

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

Hello All

I may have narrowed this down a bit more.  With the Windows Error Reporting Service disabled, explorer didn't crash any more.  But I noticed occasionally I got a popup about skydrive.  So I followed some instructions I found on LifeHacker to disable the SkyDrive integration in Windows 8.1 and I reenabled Windows Error Reporting and so far explorer hasn't crashed.  So it seems to be a problem with SkyDrive.  I'm out of time to work on this laptop so I'm giving it back to the owner with SkyDrive disabled. 

Hi, disabling the Error Reporting Service worked for me too, but I'll investigage a bit more and post again to let you know what I find, as there appears to be a variety of reasons for this.

Many thanks to Grain_r for saving me a huge amount of time :)

FL

#12 jgludwig2

jgludwig2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

I had the same problem and ran accross a solution recommending uninstall Norton 360.  I did it and problem solved except I don't have Norton 360.  Tried to contact the Norton Support team to ask about this problem, but got no replies.  Upset because I just renew my subscription to Norton 360 and I have always liked the product.  The Norton 360 worked fine on Windows 8 until Microsoft update to Windows 8.1.  anyone know why this is happening and if their is a fix in the works?

#13 Kokkie

Kokkie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

I have the same problem, but i cant enable Windows error reporting in the task manager menu. When i stop it, it starts itself again. Also have norton.

#14 to_the_sun

to_the_sun

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

I also had this issue and uninstalling Norton solved it.

#15 cw3zen

cw3zen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

You guys are amazing!  Disabling the Windows Error Reporting service allowed me to get in and do what was needed to fix this bleeping problem.   Thank you!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users