Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Review of an excellent utility program

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wings42

Wings42

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Yesterday, at the recommendation of a BC Advisor I used Malwarebyte Free to help get rid of a virus. I liked it so much that I purchased Malwarebyte Pro for $24.95.

The interface is clean, easy to understand and use. Installation and operation is extremely quick as is updatiing its database of malware threats. Besides detection and removal of viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers and spyware (from the Malwarebyte site), the unique thing I liked about the pro version is StartupLite, a utility which very quickly eliminates unneeded applications from startup. That alone is worth the price.

You can check out the Amazon reviews at http://www.amazon.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-Pro-2013/dp/B00AY016T0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top . If you're interested in trying the free version or buying the Pro version, the Malwarebyte website is at http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/?gclid=CNe9k-qW_roCFRSVfgodyDcAsw .

A reminder, you should always turn off virus protection software of any brand when you use anti-malware utilities of any brand.

(See Allan's comment below)

David

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2013 - 11:23 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

MalwareBytes is an adjunct to a good anti virus utility. There is no need to disable your av when using MalwareBytes.

#3 Wings42

Wings42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the correction. You're certainly more knowledgeable about the subject then me.

#4 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

MalwareBytes is an adjunct to a good anti virus utility. There is no need to disable your av when using MalwareBytes.

w7273l.jpg

Wings42,

I've been using Norton 360 AV for about a year simultaneously with MBAM Pro and have not seen any conflict issues with the tools.

However, over at the Norton Forum, their recommendation for Norton users is to scan with the MBAM Free version as an on-demand scanner since they contend that the Pro version can allow threats into your PC by conflicting ownership of a detected threat.  They claim that your chances of being affected by threats increase with 2 real-time scanners running simultaneously.

They have been asked by an MBAM staff member to provide lab-test data to substantiate their recommendation but they haven't done so, or not that I've read at their forum. 

When I read this majority point of view at their forum, I asked the Admin at the MBAM forum about this as he's also a MBAM Staff member.

As Allan mentioned earlier, MBAM is specifically designed to compliment the AV real-time protection with their scanner as MBAM's scanner engine works differently than most, if not all, AV scanner engines.

MBAM has detected several PUP's when scanning real-time on my system.  I'd rather detect undesired objects in real-time vs running the MBAM Free on-demand scanner periodically.

I really like MBAM's Pro scheduling tool.  I run overnight MBAM "quick" scans while my PC is idle.  My PC receives a "wake" command from another backup tool and after that tool's backup is complete, I have MBAM scheduled to run the scan.

#5 Wings42

Wings42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

It seems like every bummer experience like a virus infection is also a learning experience.Thanks.

#6 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

It seems like every bummer experience like a virus infection is also a learning experience.Thanks.

25rimb5.jpg

Best advice I can offer is to maintain a complete hard drive backup plan.  That way, you're protected against almost all intrusions.

I use cloning as well as imaging for backing up my HDD.  I like both approaches as they have advantages with both processes.

It's bailed me out a couple of times over the years where an intrusion got past my previous AV's and I didn't want to invest time in downloading repair/cleanup tools.  I installed my cloned HDD and was running within a few minutes.

Edited by Scoop8, 24 November 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

I use cloning as well as imaging for backing up my HDD.  I like both approaches as they have advantages with both processes.

I also do this... very wise IMHO.

Cryptolocker... oh well, just pull out the clone. Geez I hate it when I have to do all this manual labour, removing screws and stuff.... lol

#8 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

I also do this... very wise IMHO.

Cryptolocker... oh well, just pull out the clone. Geez I hate it when I have to do all this manual labour, removing screws and stuff.... lol

defit.jpg  Believe me, I'm just lazy :).  I don't want to spend time researching cleanup tools, etc, recovering from an intrusion.

Speaking of hardware :),  I have 2 of these installed in my Desktop PC:

Kingwin KF-1000 Sata Hot-Swap Trays

They save time when testing/swapping HDD's.

I use a 2.5 Enclosure for my Laptop cloning and imaging.

Cryptolocker... when I read up on that one, I stepped up my imaging plan.  Since Cryptolocker will take a few days before the PC user realizes they're infected, I have been storing a few full-disk images on an external HDD.  That way I can recover one from 2-3 months earlier and avoid the "delay-encryption" attacks.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

Love the hot swap trays. Will be reading more on these. I've been using a USB docking station and just moving it around the different machines.

I also introduced group policy that scripts can only execute from C:\program files .... To my company as well as at home. Infection rates on machines have plummeted from low to 0. KaPow! malware, take that!

Edited by TsVk!, 24 November 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

Yesterday, at the recommendation of a BC Advisor I used Malwarebyte Free to help get rid of a ...the unique thing I liked about the pro version is StartupLite, a utility which very quickly eliminates unneeded applications from startup. That alone is worth the price.

StartupLite is offered as a separate free download even for those who choose not to use MBAM. In the MBAM program itself, there is a link to the download page provided under the More Tools tab.

Other free Startup Managers:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users