Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions on setting up a mixed home network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hoose-mon

Hoose-mon

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hi,

Our house has 4 wired computers and a variety of wireless devices, with two separate routers, because it's an old house and one WAP doesn't cover everywhere.  

Everything is working fine, but I'd like to share files among all devices (potentially), and haven't been able to figure out how.  I've blundered around with file sharing, with very limited success.

Here's the current configuration 

Internet connection - DSL

DSL is connected to Netgear B90-755044-15 - DSL modem and wireless router.

Wired to this (I'll call it Router A) I have two computers:

A1 is an AMD A8-5500, running Win 8 64 bit

A2 is an AMD Athlon 64 2800, running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Wired into Router A I also have Router B - Linksys BEFW1154 V3.   The two routers have different SSID's.

Wired to router B, I also have two computers:

B1 is an Intel Celeron 2.55 Ghz, running Win XP Home SP3

B2 is an AMD Athlon 64, running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 

Most recently, I enabled file sharing for data folders on both Ubuntu computers and got the following results:

A1 can see the shared files on A2, but prompts for a username and password to access them

B1 can access the shared files on B2

A2 can see the shared folders on B2, but says "unable to mount" when I try to access them.

So, I decided that maybe I should just try and set up a functioning network, and the file sharing will come with it.

I didn't run MiniToolBox, because I thought maybe that was just to diagnose malfunctions.

Where should I start?

Hoosemon

In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first...George Carlin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

There are multiple ways you could achieve this, as long as you add static routes to different network address ranges then i would simply set a  Windows7 machine up with IIS installed and host all files over a webbrowser, you can also add WebDav support as well for iOS devices. this can be a little harder to set up but literally takes 5 minutes to implement, basically its as follows (Basic explination, google it for more details)

1. Goto run and type appwiz.cpl and goto the Turn Windows features on or off  section on the elft ahdn side of the window, expand Internet Information, Tick all Web management tols, Exopand Word wide web services then select common http features (This will then include webdav). Expand Security and select Basic && Windows authentication (Others if you need them). Then press OK and install them features.

2. Ctreate a folder somewhere on any drive and set the permissions for NTFS to Anyone and also the Share permissions to Anyone.

3. Dump all your files in there, then goto run and type inetmgr.exe.

4. You then create a virtual dirctory on the standard site which points tot he folder you created earlier. Enable basic authentication IF using username/password or allow annonymous permissions to read.

5. Enter the IP address/virtualfoldername  from anydevice to access files.

this is just one way i woudl work it but someone else might suggest a simplier way bvut remember you are covering all mobile or static devices this way.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 26 November 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

You might want to check out this page.

Is there a reason you have two different SSIDs?

Are both routers doing DHCP?

Edited by RKilroy, 27 November 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

I think the link RKilroy posted will get your routers sorted. And if you search google for file sharing between windows 8, XP and Ubuntu, you'll find an easy walk through or 2. Samba is really a breeze to work with, promise.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Hoose-mon

Hoose-mon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

Thanks guys - I'll dig into the stuff you suggested and see if I can make it work.

Only reason for different SSIDs is because I figured I might have a problem logging into the second one.

Kind of goofy that I never tried using one SSID and one wireless password for both.  

That probably would have made for a more seamless transition when going form one end of the house to the other.

I'm pretty certain both are currently set up for DHCP.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving.

Hoosemon

In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first...George Carlin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users