Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 hdd's 1pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

HI,Well it looks like i finally got my PC straightened out with 1MOBO and 2hdd's.

(1) First HDD was in a DELL E521 and was a SATA HDD.

(2) The 2nd HDD was from a GATEWAY GT 4010 IDE drive.

(3) Got a adapter to attach to the IDE drive so i could hook up to the SATA system,then the fun started in trying to get all of the

drivers i needed to up date the GATEWAY HDD to work on the SATA MOBO.

The biggest problem i had was getting the WD HDD to connect to the internet i finally learned how to make a ISO disk to

download the drivers to the WD HDD,then had to locate all the drivers to get all of those silly little question marks off of the

device manager,but when i got all question marks removed with updates then i was able to connect to the internet on WD HDD.

The annoying problem i have right now is having to go into BIOS and change boot order to go from one HDD to the other HDD.

I think there should be a way to do this as in dual boot type of setup where i can switch between HDD'S without having to shut

down one HDD and start up another HDD thru the BIOS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

I'm assuming that you have Windows installed on both of these hdds?

Since you have posted this in the XP forum I'm guessing that XP is installed at least on one of these hdds?

What operating system do you have installed on the other hdd?

The Basic Output Input System (BIOS) checks for the firest boot device and then starts the booting process from there.  This means that if you want to boot from the other operating system on the other hdd you will have to change the boot order in the BIOS.  This will need to be done every time you want to boot from the hdd not currently being used.

Edited by dc3, 24 November 2013 - 02:25 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

HI,I have WINXP on both HDD'S, 1 is the pro version the other is media center

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

Please note that I edited my last post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users