Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PUP`S

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Skippyroo

Skippyroo

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

I use Sanboxie as a routine way of opening my browser, currently Chrome.

There are frequent occasions where I have to access the web unsandboxed for specific reasons. Also I have to allow downloads to leave the sandbox. These usually go on my desktop. I must confess, that I do not normally scan the sites before download with Virus Total or by an AV when on my desktop.

On all risky sites I am never unsandboxed and use a proxy.

On a recent scan by MBAM, a total of 46 PUP files were picked up as threats and quarantined. They must have come from a download as a group and most of them involve "DealPly".

Are PUP`s really a threat or just minor ineffective intrusions ? A screen shot selection of the MBAM list is as follows :-

PUPSMBAM_zpsbbd8539f.jpg

Edited by Skippyroo, 24 November 2013 - 06:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hello Skippyroo

PUP detections are Potentially Unwanted Programs. These are programs Malwarebytes researchers have found are sometimes added to a system without the user's knowledge or approval.

PUP type programs are legit programs that get installed legally on your computer by being bundled with other legit programs that you may want installed on the computer. By doing this they can get installed on your computer legally and unless you pay close attention you will not know that they get installed. What They are doing are informing you that they have been installed and giving you the means to remove them

Gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

If I Have Not Replied To One Of My Topics In 48 Hrs Please Bump The Topic

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

Proud Graduate Of Malware Removal University

#3 Skippyroo

Skippyroo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hello Skippyroo

PUP detections are Potentially Unwanted Programs. These are programs Malwarebytes researchers have found are sometimes added to a system without the user's knowledge or approval.

PUP type programs are legit programs that get installed legally on your computer by being bundled with other legit programs that you may want installed on the computer. By doing this they can get installed on your computer legally and unless you pay close attention you will not know that they get installed. What They are doing are informing you that they have been installed and giving you the means to remove them

Gringo

Hola Gringo,

Thank you, that seems to explain it very clearly.

How all these PUP`s got through, I do not know, I must have missed something in a download. Still if they are harmless, not so bad eh ?

All my downloads are programs which I select to either try or keep. Most of them just run and do not have a wizard where you can spot unwanted rubbish. I was surprised at the number of them - 46 ! What made me particularly angry, was that they are all Registry files.

Strange, my other AV`s, all manually selected ad-hoc scan programs - AVG 2014, Emsisoft Emergency Kit and SuperAntiSpyware never picked them up, just MBAM.

I will do a MBAM quick scan more often.

Muchas gracias
Skippy

Edited by Skippyroo, 24 November 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#4 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hello Skippy

Not all PUPS are harmless - some will cause redirects others will show you ads but because of the way they get installed they have to be treated a certain way

Here is another trick for you

If you want Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove PUP detections, each item must be checked. To do so quickly, you can highlight one of the detections by left clicking on it. Then, right click on the highlighted detection, and select 'Check all items'. Next, click Remove Selected.

You can also have Malwarebytes Antimalware remove them automatically during the scans if you want to.

Open Malwarebytes Antimalware and click on the "settings " tab
Now click on the "Scanner Settings" tab
Next to where it says "Action for Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP)" change the setting to "Show In Results and Check for Removal"

This should take care of all PUP's in the future

Gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

#5 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users