Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inexplicable Hard Drive Performance Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Xantalen

Xantalen

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:11 AM

Hey there,

I was currently in the chat earlier asking about this. I've had this issue for like 6-7 months now, and I've completely rebuilt my computer (save for the RAM) and still am dealing with it.

Basically, it takes little to put any of the drives at 100% usage, which I monitor in Windows 8 Task Manager. Benchmarks show how terrible things are with erratic spikes and drops in speeds going as low as 2MB/s. Loading times in games suffer greatly, the computer isn't exactly fun to use when an installation for something of significant size is being done or if there's a download going. 

Specs before upgrade:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 

MSI 970A G43

Radeon 7850

Rosewill 650w PSU

Specs after upgrade:

Intel Core i7 4770K

Gigabyte Z87-HD3

GTX 780

Corsair CX750 PSU

Hard drives:

Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB

Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB

Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB

Western Digital Caviar Green 7200 2TB

All have performance issues. The 500GB and one of the 1TB drives have been tested and work great in other computers. Another thing to note is they perform better when they're secondary drives. As in, my 2TB which has Windows on it is the one that has the worst performance, but that would go for any drive that runs my OS.

I've tried different SATA cables, different power cord for the PC itself, different outlet, only one drive, two drives, three drives plugged in. Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1. Pretty much everything that the average tech literate person would think of. Sitting here with three of them running (all but the 500GB) I'm getting an occasional solitary "click" sound. Usually indicative of a bad drive from what I'm told. Still wouldn't explain the other drives.

This is a ridiculous issue and I just need to be done with it. I greatly appreciate any help I receive.

Lastly, also tried buying yet ANOTHER hard drive as all the ones above were from the previous build and I figured why not. Same issues. Returned it afterwards as I really don't need that much space.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

All 'spinners' have "performance issues". Try SSDs. You'll love 'em.

#3 Xantalen

Xantalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'm well aware of the benefits of SSDs. I have two mSATA SSD in Raid 0 in my laptop. My desktop however uses "spinners", and they're having performance issues, not "performance issues."

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:14 PM

Post the results from doing a Benchmark test & SMART info from them.  You can use a Linux Live DVD to do the testing.  Download Diskmark from Majorgeeks.com and post the results.  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/diskmark.html As for the SMART info, they also have some S.M.A.R.T. tools on there that are free and good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users