Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any ideas for getting a dial-up only Win 8 desktop to Win 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:14 AM

í don't use this desktop for internet use unless my other computers are down. So far, updating its Win 8 via dial-up seems to be a waste of time and always fails for one reason or another.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can get this Win 8 desktop updated to Win 8.1?

This is a rural location with no fast internet available other than satellite, which is not currently an option I would consider.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

Get someone (relative, friend, etc.) to snail-mail you a copy on DVD.

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

Get someone (relative, friend, etc.) to snail-mail you a copy on DVD.

A copy of what?

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Contact the company that manufactured the computer, and see what it would cost to get a copy of 8.1 for your machine.  If you built it, then you can purchase a copy of 8.1 from places like newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, cdw.com, etc..  Stay away from ebay.  You can also get legal copies from Amazon, through amazon.com.

#6 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

I built this one myself and bought the win 8 from tigerdirect. I don't know if that's good or bad. Probably not good.

I wish there was a way to download the updates onto a cd or usb, then put them on the desktop. I guess MS assumes every computer is connected to a high speed internet connection 24-7. Even the Win 8 help screens just direct you to some web site.

I'm thinking the only way to get these large updates onto this desktop will be to haul it to a hotspot, stick a wi-fi adapter on it, plug it in somewhere, and let it upgrade.

Bummer.

#7 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

If you want it on DVD, here is the complete procedure for downloading a Windows 8.1 file ISO using a Windows 8 product key.

These instructions may then prove helpful for burning the ISO file to disc: How can I write (burn) ISO files to CD or DVD?

#8 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

Thanks SpywareDoc.

Looks a little complicated but might be worth a try.

I now wish I would have gone with Win 7 instead of 8. The more I find out about 8 the more I think that if you're not needing to use touch screens there's no reason at all to go with it.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

It would also be completely impractical to get all the updates needed after a Windows 7 installation through dial-up.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:51 AM

It would also be completely impractical to get all the updates needed after a Windows 7 installation through dial-up.

That's a good point. I was thinking Win 7 might be more suited to my particular needs for the desktop because it doesn't have a fast 24/7 internet connection...which Win 8 seems to assume everyone has. I was also thinking there might not be many more huge updates required for 7. I don't know if the latest 7 dvd's have much of the required updates on them or not. Does 7 contain any particular SP's on the dvd's?

Updating Windows for a free standing computer is getting to be nightmarish. I don't know how far back I am in Win 8 updates, pretty far behind I think. Reading the thread about updating 8 to 8.1 was depressing. I'm no longer very interested in getting 8.1.

Maybe if I at least got the Win 8 updated I'd feel better.....at least temporarily....... until another huge update is required. I get the feeling updating to 8.1 will soon be required and not optional.

I have a usb wi-fi adapter I guess might work with it. I wonder how long it would take to get all the updates for 8 downloaded? If it's not too long, maybe I can haul the desktop to a friends place and get them via his home wi-fi network. He's got cable internet.

#11 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

I bought a Win 8 laptop just last week.  First thing I did after stripping out all the bloatware was update Windows.  There were about 70 updates to install and, like you, I don't have a high-speed connection - 768K DSL is all there is where I live.  Just downloading them all took nearly 4 hours, and they didn't include the update to 8.1.   

#12 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

brian2009, on 26 Nov 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

Thanks SpywareDoc.

You're welcome.

Looks a little complicated but might be worth a try.

I probably wouldn't attempt it with less than say a 3Mbps pipe.

I now wish I would have gone with Win 7 instead of 8. The more I find out about 8 the more I think that if you're not needing to use touch screens there's no reason at all to go with it.

Windows 8 was intentionally designed for touch-screen devices.

md2lgyk, on 26 Nov 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

I bought a Win 8 laptop just last week.  First thing I did after stripping out all the bloatware was update Windows.  There were about 70 updates to install and, like you, I don't have a high-speed connection - 768K DSL is all there is where I live.  Just downloading them all took nearly 4 hours, and they didn't include the update to 8.1.

So you're looking at about an hour then with at 3Mbps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users