Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus For Low-power Pcs's?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Silver_beetle

Silver_beetle

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:15 AM

Hello. I have a fairly low-power, older PC and I need to find a downloadable antivirus program that will work with my modest system. What I have is a P2, 32mhz, with a 4G HD. I tried Kaspersky, (even though they had no system requirements on their site) and it sorta worked, but locked up frequently.

Any recommendations? I'm a fairly advanced PC user, so don't let that frighten you. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:43 AM

These are all good (and free) Antivirus programs (install only one):
AVG - How to Install, Configure, and Use AVG
Avast - How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:04 AM

Hello. I have a fairly low-power, older PC and I need to find a downloadable antivirus program that will work with my modest system. What I have is a P2, 32mhz, with a 4G HD. I tried Kaspersky, (even though they had no system requirements on their site) and it sorta worked, but locked up frequently.

Any recommendations? I'm a fairly advanced PC user, so don't let that frighten you. Thanks.

Do you mean 32 mb of RAM? If so that will be the problem. While most of the freeware we recommend will work on older computers, they still need the resources to function properly.
I have installed AVG, Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, and SyGate Free Editions on P-II 350 and had no problem with locking up. With that said I make sure they have atleast 256mb of RAM and all of my P-III (12+) have 512mb to 768mb, to insure that the programs have the proper resources to functon properly.

What processor, amount of RAM, free hard drive space, and operating system are you using?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:06 AM

Quietman has recommended several good AVs. I have found that different AVs work somewhat differently on different PCs, depending one suspects on the total configuration of the computer. Since these are absolutely free, I would suggest you try each of these to see which works best on that computer, beginning with AVG (you can also experiment, if you want, with turning off some of the various functions if performance becomes an problem).
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 04 May 2006 - 05:50 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Silver_beetle

Silver_beetle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:03 AM

Yes, I meant 32mb of RAM. Even my old 386 was faster than 32mhz! BTW, I installed Avast, which worked OK, but I found it to be a little dificult to use, simply because the icons weren't particularly... intuitive, I guess. I locked up all the suspicious files in the chest, but I'm not sure whether I can delete them or not. It says they're infected, but that doesn't necessarily mean the file itself is part of a virus, correct? I guess what I'm really asking is, isn't it possible that some of the files are in fact legit files that have virus code attached to them? In that case, the offending code should be removed and the files restored to their original location, right?

BTW, jgweed, I've reall enjoyed your replies in the Speak easy forum.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:52 AM

Qaurantining a suspicious file isolates it from the operating system; if your computer boots normally and all programmes and applications run without incident after a few days, you may safely delete these files. The purpose of Avast's Virus Chest is to allow the user to test his computer to be sure that the AV has not quarantined any needed files by mistake, or that deleting the virus will interfere with the computer's functionality; users may research the identified viruses while they are stored in a place where they cannot harm the system. Since they are separate files, the viruses have not incorporated themselves, strictly speaking, into any programme code.
Regards,
John

PS. Thank you for the compliment. I attempt to remain as objective as possible in my posts to the forum, and present what I hope are positive and helpful contributions to the various topics under discussion. John

Edited by jgweed, 04 May 2006 - 09:58 AM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:17 AM

You can pick up a used 128mb RAM module for $10. You would not believe how much faster you P-II will run with that small upgrade. Look on ebay for PC100 128mb or 64mb modules. You will have at least 3 memory slots if not 4. I would not spend too much on that old computer but 128mb to 256mb of memory will make a world of difference for the little bit of money you will have spent.
I hope you were not ofended by the way I posed the question.

#8 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:46 PM

Probably already know this acklan and have changed firewalls, but Sygate was purchased by Symantec which means that Sygate Free won't be supported anymore. If you haven't switched please accept my humble advice: Sunbelt Kerio's Free Firewall & ZoneAlarm Free seem like excellent substitutes for Sygate.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:53 PM

From the fact that Sygate is not supported, Elendil, one can only infer that no further enhancements will be worked on, not that the current product therefore is in some sense inferior.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 04 May 2006 - 05:54 PM.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:43 PM

Probably already know this acklan and have changed firewalls, but Sygate was purchased by Symantec which means that Sygate Free won't be supported anymore. If you haven't switched please accept my humble advice: Sunbelt Kerio's Free Firewall & ZoneAlarm Free seem like excellent substitutes for Sygate.

Good advice is alway accepted, and you advice is excellent. I feel comfortable with SyGate for now. Besides, the members of Bleeping Computer can answer any question I have about my firewall.

Thanks for the concern though.

#11 wyldjkr69

wyldjkr69

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:55 PM

i have found avast to be my fav anti virus it takes some getting used to but it was easier that norton plus its free. you can also pick what to scan to let the puter have more memory back. it also scans for spyware wich is a plus. i have a pentium 1 and 256 mb ram and 20+2+2 memory and i realy run slow but the avast doesnt make a world of difference.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:31 AM

What speed P-I do you have?

#13 wyldjkr69

wyldjkr69

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:37 AM

i dont know ive never ben able to find out it just says genuine intel pentium proccessor

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:49 AM

Try one of these. They can tell you all about your computer.

Start> Run> msinfo32
Start> Run> dxdiag
Everest Home 2.2
Belarc Diagnostic Tool

#15 wyldjkr69

wyldjkr69

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:59 AM