Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random spam tabs appearing in Firefox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 emily3777

emily3777

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

Can someone please help me?  I've tried everything.  Random spam tabs keep opening in Firefox.  I've looked at many sites and followed the instructions and nothing is happening.  My McAfee isn't catching anything so I'm wondering if it's a rootkit.

The URL for the spam tabs seem to always be statis.australianbrewingcompany.com.  I have Windows 8 with a 64bit OS and am using a Dell Laptop.

When I try manual suggestions, it doesn't find anything to remove.  I really don't want to pay for anything to get this removed because I DO NOT have the money for it, so hoping to get some help here.  I've attached some screenshots of what I'm seeing.

Malware2.png

Malware1.png

Malware4.png

Malware3.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 emily3777

emily3777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

Sorry...I didn't mean "statis" in the HTML prefix....I meant STATIC.

#3 techgeek88

techgeek88

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hi!

That is a known adware/malware problem. I could type out a long list of things but someone has already compiled a removal guide and I'll link to that.

Good luck and let me know how it works out!

-tg88

#4 emily3777

emily3777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

Thank you, but I already found that site and tried everything on there.  There is no static-australianbrewingcompany to uninstall, or any suspicious downloads or programs.  The site they refer you to to do a malware scan does the scan and finds errors, but you have to pay $40 to remove. 

#5 techgeek88

techgeek88

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

In that case, run AdwCleaner from Xplode:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Download from Bleeping Computer, and then open it and click "Scan".

When it is finished scanning, click "Clean". It will reboot your machine and see if it is still occurring and let me know.

AdwCleaner is a free program.

Edited by techgeek88, 24 November 2013 - 12:17 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

The malwaretips removal guide includes AdwCleaner, JRT, Malwarebytes and HitmanPro.

emily3777 said she tried all those steps.

If resetting Firefox to all defaults does not resolve the problem you can try removing your user profile and perform a clean Unininstall/Reinstall of Firefox.

1. Uninstall Firefox via Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, then reboot. Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable which does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Uninstalling Firefox with the default options does not remove your user profile, which includes personal information such as bookmarks, passwords and cookies. If you also want to remove this information, you should remove the folder that contains your Firefox profile, which is stored in a separate location from the Firefox program.

Uninstalling Firefox

This step is only recommended if you want to completely remove Firefox from your system, and you do not want to save any of your data. This will remove your Firefox user profile data, which includes bookmarks, passwords, cookies, preference settings and added extensions.

Removing user profile data

2. Delete all of the following folders if they exist:

Windows 7:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Extensions
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

Windows XP:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Mozilla
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Extensions
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

Note:
%AppData%\Mozilla\ <- Delete the Firefox subfolder in the Mozilla folder. If you don't have any other Mozilla applications (i.e. Seamonkey, Thunderbird), then it is safe to delete the entire Mozilla folder.
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\ <- Delete the Firefox subfolder in the Mozilla folder. If you don't have any other Mozilla applications (i.e. Seamonkey, Thunderbird), then it is safe to delete the entire Mozilla folder.

-- If you cannot find some of the folder(s), you may have to reconfigure Windows to show hidden files, folders.

3. Reboot and reinstall Firefox.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users