Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop running slow

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 stinawog

stinawog

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Hey there. You all have helped me before with a virus I had (under my husband's username "brendina") so I thought I'd come here and see if you could help me with my now slow-running laptop. It's not so slow that I can't use it, but it is slow enough that it's very frustrating to use it and I want to know if there's anything I can do to improve its performance. I'd also like to do a data backup before I do anything else, but I forgot the best way to do that. 

Here's some info about my laptop: 

Operating system: Windows 7 Starter

Manufacturer: Acer

Model: AO532h

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

:welcome: stinawog to Bleeping Computer Forums :)

According to online details, the Acer AO532h model is a basic computer laptop with Intel Atom, 5400 rpm hard drive and 1 GB RAM and most probably upgradable to 2 GB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115718

Can you please be specific on what particular events does it exhibit the slow or lagging performance?

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download SecurityCheck.exe from Here

. Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
. When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
   Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.

Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#3 stinawog

stinawog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Sorry for taking so long!

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.79  
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 10 Out of date! 
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:`````````````` 
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Microsoft Security Essentials   
 Antivirus up to date!  
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:````````` 
 CCleaner     
 Adobe Flash Player 10 Flash Player out of Date! 
 Adobe Flash Player  11.9.900.170  
 Adobe Reader XI  
 Mozilla Firefox 23.0.1 Firefox out of Date!  
 Google Chrome 28.0.1500.95  
 Google Chrome 29.0.1547.66  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe 
 Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe 
 Google Update Install {3BEF77F9-4456-4633-9BB5-FCD4867A8EC2}\GoogleUpdateSetup.exe 
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 1% 
````````````````````End of Log`````````````````````` 

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Update adobe flash and untick Mcafee security scan http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

When on Firefox click the Help menu - About firefox to let automatic download on the latest version of Firefox.

To backup your current data by external storage http://www.wikihow.com/Copy-Files-to-an-External-Hard-Drive

Can you please be specific on what particular events does it exhibit the slow or lagging performance?

Tekken

#5 stinawog

stinawog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

All of them. From the moment it is turned on, the mouse seems to lag. Clicking seems to lag. Typing. All input takes a while to register. 

Thanks for helping!

Stina

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

:welcome: stinawog to Bleeping Computer Forums :)

According to online details, the Acer AO532h model is a basic computer laptop with Intel Atom, 5400 rpm hard drive and 1 GB RAM and most probably upgradable to 2 GB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115718

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download SecurityCheck.exe from Here

. Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
. When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
   Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.

Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

No need for Speccy.  I can tell you more about that model then Speccy can.  It is the same one that I gave to my daughter, when I got my Toshiba Satellite C850d.  Only change that I made though, was bump the RAM to 2gb, and swap out the platter drive for a Crucial M4 64gb.  Sped that little sucker up real quick.  It will run 64bit Operating Systems.

I loaded mine that I had, with Windows 7 Pro, when I gave it to my daughter, along with placing the platter drive from the Toshiba (250gb), into an external case, and she could not be any happier.

It is not a bad little Netbook, for the time period that Acer released it.  It will actually clock at 1.66 per core, and not slow down if you are using either Office 2k10 or Libre Office, along with having Google Chrome open at the same time.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

All of them. From the moment it is turned on, the mouse seems to lag. Clicking seems to lag. Typing. All input takes a while to register. 

Thanks for helping!

Stina

Are you talking about the Touchpad on it?  The touchpad is bad to begin with on that machine.  Use a Logitech M525 wireless mouse with it, and you will see the lag go away.  I only ran Microsoft Security Essentials on it.

I did load it with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit, and it did better with that, then it did with Windows 7.  Windows 8 will run on it, but you will get the error that there is missing drivers for the ACPI in Device Manager.

Go to crucial.com and get two of these modules http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=A1A512FAA5CA7304 along with this SSD http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT120M500SSD1  If you need more then 120gb, Crucial does have the 240gb for $160.  You do these two changes, that Netbook will feel like a brand new more powerful machine.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

No need for Speccy.

Perhaps it was intended for the OP's first post as initial readings on certain hardware components and softwares/services running is needed. While I would agree on the hardware upgrades on hard drive and RAM stick, you cannot just jump to conclusions just because the OP has posted 'All of Them' as it could be a hardware, malware infection or recently installed software is contributing to the problem. Spending money is not always an initial thought...

Tekken

#9 stinawog

stinawog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

What's my next step?

Thanks,

Stina

#10 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

I have a Samsung Netbook that was a similar spec. It came with W7 Starter, and ran fine with everything I threw at it (Office 2010, Visual Studio, XAMP, WAMP, Joomla, SQL Server, etc etc).

I ran MS SE without issue for ages, then when the Netbook started to slow down I saw in task manager that it was MS SE that was using all the processor cycles. I ended up swapping to Kapersky and then to MCAfee.

Anyhow, I upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB and replaced the hard drive with a Samsung SSD but the result wasn't a huge ,improvement and to be honest the processor seems to be a bottleneck whichever anti-virus I run.

Steve O.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

C4 Reallocation Event Count: 100 (100) Data 0000000002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

While there is a flag or warning already on the hard drive, run windows error checking tool and then post the result.

Please complete the Security check and Minitoolbox logs next time.

Additional scanners and logs needed.

Try clearing your cache files : Free Ccleaner
Ignore the Registry feature of Ccleaner as it is not recommended or needed.

Download Adwcleaner by Xplode from here.
Click on Adwcleaner and hit the Scan button and will begin to search for PUP and malicious files. Once finished click the Delete/Clean button. Copy and paste the log on your next reply.

Scan for Malware using free Malwarebytes
Install then run a quick scan only after updating to the latest definition.

Uncheck the trial pro version on setup and remove any found threats after running the scan.
Please post also the result.

Download JRT by thisisu from this link.
Make sure to disable your antivirus or any running protection softwares before running JRT to avoid interferences.
For Vista and Windows 7, right-click and Run as Administrator. In XP, double click JRT icon.
Please be patient and let the program finish scanning.
Once finish, a text document will open then copy-paste it on your next reply.

Tekken

#12 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

What's my next step?

Thanks,
Stina

Change out that 1GB RAM to a 2gb, and change the hard drive from that slow platter drive, to a SSD.

#13 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

No need for Speccy.

Perhaps it was intended for the OP's first post as initial readings on certain hardware components and softwares/services running is needed. While I would agree on the hardware upgrades on hard drive and RAM stick, you cannot just jump to conclusions just because the OP has posted 'All of Them' as it could be a hardware, malware infection or recently installed software is contributing to the problem. Spending money is not always an initial thought...
Speccy is overkill in this case. Most people I see on here, are using it for what it was not intended for. Also it has an issue of not reporting hardware information properly on computers. Speccy is to be used lightly, and not to trust the info that it reports.

#14 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

I have a Samsung Netbook that was a similar spec. It came with W7 Starter, and ran fine with everything I threw at it (Office 2010, Visual Studio, XAMP, WAMP, Joomla, SQL Server, etc etc).

I ran MS SE without issue for ages, then when the Netbook started to slow down I saw in task manager that it was MS SE that was using all the processor cycles. I ended up swapping to Kapersky and then to MCAfee.

Anyhow, I upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB and replaced the hard drive with a Samsung SSD but the result wasn't a huge ,improvement and to be honest the processor seems to be a bottleneck whichever anti-virus I run.

Steve O.

That is not an issue of the Software, it is an issue of how Windows prioritizes processes. You can take the fastest CPU, add to that 16GB RAM, and Window will slow it down, like a horse trying to pull a wagon with two tons of rocks.

MSE should be set up to run when you are not going to be using the machine, or if you use any other A/Vsoftware, it should be set to scan when the machine is idle.

#15 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

The "On Access" scanning is as crippling to performance as are the scheduled or ad-hoc scan so I don't see how it is possible to set it to scan when the machine is idle unless you are suggesting disabling on-access scanning (which I wouldn't)?

Firing up a web browser etc cause one or more MS SE proceses to jump and grab the processor in the background to the detriment of any foreground apps andI have messed about with priorities to no effect.

I know something of computer performance analysis.

Steve O.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users