Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locking Drive Letters

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:40 AM

Is there a way with WinXP Pro to lock the drive letters? I have an external USB 160gb drive that's always plugged in, with pictures amongst other things stored on it. My problem is that when I plug in my thumb drive (memory stick, or whatever), Windows assigns it a drive letter and it changes my external drive letter. The thing is that I have my desktop wall paper set from a picture on my external hdd. When it assigns a different letter to it (when I plug in a thumb drive) it loses the "path" to where the wall paper is and it goes away :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot in advance for all your help!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:58 AM

Right-click My Computer and select Manage > Disk Management.

In the bottom-right pane, right-click the bar representing the drive whose letter you want to set.

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths > Change.

Select a drive letter from the menu, and choose OK and Yes

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for your quick reply RichieP!

I know that it can be changed....but what I want to know is if it can be locked so that when I plug in my memory stick, windows will stop rearranging my drive letters :thumbsup:

Kind of like how you can lock the task bar so it won't move or change....that's what I want to do with my drive letters for my external hdd :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:41 AM

I thought following the procedure above locked the drive letter once you had allocated it!

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

Hmmm....maybe I missed it. It was auto assigned a drive letter when I first plugged it in, and I don't care what it's labeled, so I never bothered to change it. Perhaps the quick fix to this is to assign it a letter towards the end of the alphabet...I'll change it to "Z" and see what happens!

Thanks for the input RichieP :thumbsup: :flowers:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users