Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a HP 2000 Laptop be improved ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnnyFixIt

JohnnyFixIt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

I received recently an HP 2000 Laptop PC. It is not performing as I would like in term of speed. Last time, Power Point failed me right in the middle of the presentation and the PC turned off. It restarted OK and I could finish.

Its anatomy is:

Processor: AMD C-50 Dual core, 1 GHz

RAM: 2GB (1.6 GB usable)

64 bits

At this point, I understand that adding RAM would help. But how much ? Is it worth it ?

The Windows Experience Index gave:

Processor: 2.8

Ram: 4.9

Graphics: 4.2

Primary Hard Disk: 5.8

Gaming Grapics: 5.5

I was suprised by the Processor low performance.

Suggestions, anyone ?

Regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think you will find that the limiting factor in this laptop is the processor. 2 Gb of RAM is sufficient to run Win 7 even if part of it - the 400 Mb - is reserved for graphics.

I would be more concerned as to why it crashed in the middle of a Powerpoint presentation. Running Powerpoint is not a terribly demanding application, and, as I believe this is an older laptop, I would be concerned about possible overheaating problems. To this end, I suggest you install 'Speccy' which you can get - for free - from :

www.piriform.com

and run it and see what it says your temperatures are after the computer has been running for a while. As a guide, the processor can safely go up to 65 - 70C, a typical motherboard temperature would be in the range 35 - 45C and hard drives 25 - 40C.

If any of the temperatures look like exceeding these values it is time to get out the vacumn cleaner, the can of compressed air, the soft brush and perhaps a couple of small cross head screwdrivers to get into things like fans !  It is surprising how much muck and dust can accumulate inside a computer after a year or two !

Of course, your temperatures may be entirely nominal - Windows computers can crash at any time for a multitude of reasons, and usually at the most inconvenient and embarassing time.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users