Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to uninstall completely the weather channel app

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 McIntosh

McIntosh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Ok so sometime ago I installed the weather channel app on my computer.  It did ok for a while, but then would freeze.  It wound up not keeping accurate conditions, and would not update.  No problem.  Or so I thought.  I uninstalled the stupid thing and thought that that would be the last of it.  Wrong.  So eventually  I allowed it again on my computer desk top.  Same problem.  After awhile it would freeze and do the same thing over again.  So I tried to uninstall it again.

I have a windows 7.  I took and went to my control panel.  then went to the add and remove/uninstall hardware.  I uninstalled the weater channel app.  Rebooted my computer.  I did this several times and currently the weather app still tries to come up on my desk top every time my computer starts up by rebooting.  It is not showing in my control panel.  

Today I went into E how and found this:

The Weather Channel desktop application allows you to get the most recent weather updates and alerts right from your computer without having to open a Web browser. While it is a useful program, you might have reason to uninstall it. However, there is a glitch in the application that will not allow you to remove the program. The fix to this problem is easy and takes only a few minutes, after which you will be able to uninstall the software completely.

Instructions

Double-click the "My Computer" icon on your desktop and then the "C:" drive.

Double-click the "Program Files" folder and then the "The Weather Channel FW" folder.

Double-click the "Framework" folder, right-click the "Unwise.exe" file and select "Copy."

Go back to the "The Weather Channel FW" folder, double-click the "Desktop Weather" folder, right-click anywhere in a blank space and select "Paste."

Go to the "Start" menu, click "All Programs," select "The Weather Channel" and then "Desktop Weather."

Click "Uninstall" and follow the prompts to remove Desktop Weather from your PC.

Restart your computer.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_5899831_uninstall-weather-channel-desktop.html#ixzz2lUs81RLC

followed the instructions but I could not find nor retrieve the part that said "framework" so i went directly to desk top and found Unwise.

and then proceeded to follow the above directions.  When I went the All programs etc and hit the Uninstall, I was taken to the weather channel site.  I went ahead and rebooted my computer anyway and the weather channel app still tried to come up!!  What can I do?

Edited by McIntosh, 23 November 2013 - 02:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

Using the Avast Removal Tool for removing stubborn hard to remove files................

Download aswclear.exe on your desktop
http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe
Start Windows in Safe Mode
Open (execute) the uninstall utility( Vista Win 7 User's Need to Right Click and Run as Admin.)
Locate the file or folder which you would like to remove/delete
To Have avast delete the folder you can specify which folder needs deletion by hitting the search button from within the Avast Removal Utility. [...]
Go to the C: Drive then Locate the Folder in program files.
Left Click the Weather channel Folder
Select OK
Select Un install from within the avast removal tool
Select Yes To the Prompt
Allow confirmation of Deleted files.
X out of the Avast Un install Utility
Follow the Prompt To Reboot
(Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)

#3 McIntosh

McIntosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Is is finally gone. :bounce: I had to run it twice but it is gone :)  thanks you!!

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

Your welcome have a good day. :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users