Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Decoders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ally Maypole

Ally Maypole

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:33 AM

Hello all,

As I understand it, Windows XP Home edition doesn't come with a DVD decoder, and so I can't watch any of my DVDs.

I wonder if I can doiwnload a free one, and what the best one would be?

Thanks and regards,

Ally.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:15 AM

Hello,

If you have a DVD/CD-RW combo drive or better, you most likely have the capabilities to play any DVD that matches the region of the DVD drive. All optical drives come with some sort of Driver CD that installs on your PC. Among the settings on such Driver CD's, are the ability to auto start DVD media, just as long as you have a Media Player to display the DVD files. Wnidows Media Player comes with XP home, and handles the MPEG 2 format, for decoding DVD's. If not, pluggins are available from Microsoft.

If you are unsure about compatibility of the codecs you have, and want to use WMP to watch DVD's, go here: Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility.

If you bought your PC in a package from a vendor like Dell or Gateway, then you most likely have software for most of your disc creation needs. Some of the software titles include Sonic, Nero, Roxio, Pinnacle, PowerDVD, and so on. If this sounds familiar to you, you may just have the functions turned off.

If you provide a short list of what you have installed on your PC, a more specific explanation could be provided, including possible conflicts that may be preventing you from viewing DVD's on your PC.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:

When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users