Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezes constantly, have manually restart every time

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 geetarzan69

geetarzan69

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

Ok so, I built this computer very many years ago. It was in storage for a while so it was giving me these same problems a few years ago, but since I'm using it regularly again, thinking I should try and see what the problem is and fix it - with your help clear.png

SPECS: 
Intel D865 PERLL motherboard, P4 2.4 ghz processor, 2GB OCZ ram, WD 160GB SATA, ATI All-In-Wonder Pro.

I mainly use this computer for multi track recording with my MOTU2408, but now I can't use it for much of anything.
I'll start it up, open a project, start editing or recording, and all of a sudden it will freeze. If audio is playing, it'll emit a digital humm forever until I manually restart my PC. Most times, as well, it will freeze while re sizing a window, any window, very annoying.
At first I thought it was the hard drive failing because it was very old. So I took one of my old SATA drives that I hadn't used in a while, and re formatted it, and it was running super smooth for a couple weeks, then started doing the exact same thing. No idea what could be causing this freezing. I was also thinking faulty RAM? I know it's definitely time for a new beast, but in the meantime, I'd love to see if I can fix this old beast, since I have some high end projects on the go and using my laptop will take forever (without my main recording interface)
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Trevor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:05 AM

If the RAM sticks were all cleared by swapping or running memtest, the next step would be a good known PSU.

Tekken

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

RAM would also be my first suspect. Have you tried taking an air can and blowing out the dust from the fans and components? It could be that while it was in storage it accumulated dust around the motors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users