Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Signal?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

Greetings.

My computer has been running poorly lately, slow or not at all. The best word to describe it would be hesitation. Anyhow. We have two hardwired computers which  are connected via the Ethernet cable to a Belkin wireless modem primarily for use with Amazon for books for the Kindle. There are also three laptops, wireless and used intermittently. All computers are not running at the same time. Sometimes we play games from Gamesville and I noticed that when waiting for the game to download, there is a "wheel" at the top of the game which rotates as the game is being loaded. I noticed that the wheel is not running smoothly and hesitates a lot as it spins and then the game itself reflects the same hesitation. So my question is; Is that the sort of signal that is coming in to my computer when I use other facets of the computer such as navigating to read mail and other things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

First off, what speed do you pay to get from your ISP? Second it could just be a bad router, so I would not rule that out.

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

Speed. download   1.11 mbps      upload   .40 mbps. Is there anyway to check a router?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Checking the wireless connection speed of your computer

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

Generally, IME, a router either works properly or doesn't work.  It doesn't seem to deteriorate, as a hard drive would.  That being said...anything is possible with electronics when it comes to performance degradation.

But...rather than looking at the router, (which, like many components, can really only be tested via substitution of another like component, I'd look for something simpler.

In a wired connection, the router can be tested as a possible source of trouble by removing it from the equation...directly connecting the modem to the system...or you can use the wired connection as opposed to the wireless.

<<So my question is; Is that the sort of signal that is coming in to my computer when I use other facets of the computer such as navigating to read mail and other things>>

Your connection is used for Internet connectivity, whether email or surfing.  Same signal, same source in a simple arrangement.  The more points introduced, the more possible points of failure

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users