Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The computer is running hot.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

Hi. After that display problem one month before. (My teacher said Mobo blackfired, or anything like that.) So the computer shop replace the board with a really cheap, from AMD turion II to Intel Core i5. (Which can be place in my notebook good.)

And now, I'm having issue with playing games. Normally the computer will runs at 40-45 degree celcius, normal. But when I play games such as Minecraft etc. It will go to 85-90 degree celcius at Mobo and Processor, but HDD and Graphics card still the same. Which sometimes trigger the too hot point and shutdown immediately.

Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/uCu6QXwFT8uzvQ3aI4PFgBU

My notebook model is Samsung R423, with Samsung R428 Mobo.

Thank you.

Edited by Sirawit, 23 November 2013 - 07:22 AM.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

Playing games almost always pushes computers to their limits, but it should never get so hot as to incur thermal shutdown.

I would suggest you first clean the airways and fan inside as well as you can - a vacumn cleaner, a soft brush and a can of compressed air are the recommended tools. Just be careful that you use a bit of wire or plastic rod or similar to stop the fan spinning when you are blowing it out. Then put the base plates back on and see if there is any improvement.

If there isn't, then the next thing is to check that the fan(s) is/are working. If there is a problem here, replacements seem to be readily available.

And if the fan is working and it is still overheating, then you will have to look at the heatsink compound between the processor and its heatsink. This can dry up and lose efficiency. However this requires that you remove the fan and dismount the heatsink from the processor. You may or may not feel confident that you have the necessary skills to do this yourself, and I would say 'If in doubt, don't !'. If you search on YouTube for 'R423 stripdown' or 'R423 teardown' you should find videos on what is involved. Have a look before you start on this operation if it is necessary.

I had a look at your Speccy report and the temperatures it shows are fairly nominal for a laptop - you obviously hadn't just disconnected from 'Minecraft'. It would have been more useful if you had.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

I didn't play it that day. But as far as I see, the temperature will sudden go back and forth from about 50-90. I will post screenshot of speccy graph soon.

Thank you.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#4 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

Picture when playing:

pMcxJUh.png

Note: The thermal shutdown set off again after posting this.

Thank you.

Edited by Sirawit, 25 November 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

If you've already cleaned the machine there are a couple of other things to check.  Are the fans spinning properly?  Might check in BIOS for a fan setting.

The other thing I'd suggest would be reseating the cooling on the CPU, but you'll need to replace the thermal paste.  Might want to take it back to the shop that fixed it and have them check that, if the fans are spinning properly.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Not sure if this is the issue, but I tend to play RTS games from time to time- and world building games, as the world gets bigger and more complex, tend to increase CPU load as well as RAM and video. For instance, I would play the Sandbox session on Startopia (old game, I know) and it would play flawlessly in the beginning, with approx. three rooms, 10 buildings, and 40 characters. By the time I got about half the station full- 25 rooms, 80 buildings, 200+ characters moving around- the game was bogged down, CPU load was 99%, pagefile usage was maxed, and the fans in my computer were screaming. It would ultimately crash. I deduced that I didn't have either sufficient RAM or enough GFX RAM to handle the load. An upgrade would be the pertinent step.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

Personally where i live in Townsville, its stinking hot all the time and i have always found the Intels run incredibly hot. AMD has always ran cool for me and others but intel == hot. In saying all that, the only other option would be to try a firmware update (Bios pdate) i did one the other day for a lappy that was running at 90C which is dam hot and then after flashing witha  new ROM it start sitting at around 45-60. Huge differance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users