Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual booting windows 7 & 8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shingiey

Shingiey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

Hi, I am currently using a lenovo G570 running windows 7 and it comes with all partitions fuul so i can not create a new one. from what i know i need to install windows 8 in another disk partition but i cant create one... how can i do the dual boot or modify the existing partitions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

If your harddisk is full, you cannot create another partition. You need to format the old one and install it in newly formatted partition. (warning! All data on the formatted partition will lost!) But move out all important data before doing so.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 Shingiey

Shingiey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

my harddisk is not full but my pc already has 4 partitions which windows says is the maximum... 

the present partitons are (C:) (D:) and other two partions one 200mb and the another 14.75gb

thank you too :bananas:

#4 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

You said another two partition,did you use those two? But 14.75GB + 200mb is not enough for windows 8. It needs at least 16- 20GB. How large of your c and d drive?

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

You don't say if you have any data in the two partitions other than C: and D:, nor do you say how much total spare capacity you have, but if you move any data out of these two partitions, even if only temporarily, you could merge the two to give you three 'drives' - C:, D, and one of 215 Gb. The 14.75 Gb partition is of little use to man or beast ! Presumably this partition would be drive E:.

You can then decide, depending on how much spare space you have in C: and D;, whether to devote the whole of this partition to Win 8 or to split it into two more realistic sized partitions and still not exceed the four partition limit. To pull numbers out of thin air, two partitions of say 100 and 115 Gb would be more useful than what you have at the moment.

As you are probably well aware, the disc management tools under 'Computer' are sufficient for this task. Just one safety tip - back up your important data before you start doing this !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Shingiey

Shingiey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:25 AM

I can not put any data in the the 200mb and 14.75gb partitions because they are hidden and i only see them @ disk management where they are not assigned any letters and can not be deleted.  C: is 421gb capacity, 249gb free  and windows partition. and D: is 28.9gb capacity,  26.8gb free  - this has drivers and is used for onekey rescue system... will putting the os in D: be of any harm to my pc and will i be able to use the rescue feature after this..

Thank u :bananas:  

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

My apologies !  I misread your OP - I mistook your 200Mb for 200Gb !

The 200 Mb partition is used and required by your Win 7 installation, and I would not change your recovery partition since this would almost certainly affect your chances of doing a successful recovery in the future, should you need to. It might be worth your while checking the Lenovo manual or their support section to see if you can convert the recovery to DVDs.

What you can do is add the odd 14.75 Gb to your present C: drive - delete the partition representing this quantity, then increase C: by that amount. You would then have about 260 Gb free in C:. You could then create a fourth partition of say 50 to 100Gb by taking this space from C:.

You would then have 200MB - Windows; 335 GB - C: ; 29 Gb - D: ; and 100 Gb - E: for Win 8, if my mental arithmetic is up to it.

But before you do any of this - BACK UP YOUR DATA !

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Shingiey

Shingiey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Thank you guys... i formatted my d drive and installed windows there... seems like it only has a backup of drivers and programs :clapping:  :bananas:  :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users