Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Mini from Verizon won't connect to wifi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rainlondon

rainlondon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hello all!

My friend got a HP Mini 210 from Verizon, I believe a few years ago. It has a sim slot, but there isn't a sim card in it. I don't know if she took it out, or if she never needed one.

It is an HP Mini 210 running Windows 7 Starter.

Apparently she isn't using Verizon anymore, as she recently bought a T-Mobile hot spot instead. She can't get it to connect to the T-Mobile hot spot wifi, and I brought it home, and can't get it to connect to my home wifi either. Well actually it says "Connected" but "No Internet Access." Internet is fine and working well, so that is not the problem.

The Verizon connection is under Dial up and VPN(I think it is broadband), do I need to remove this connection to get the wifi to connect properly? It is not connected to the Verizon connection though. Is it possible that this laptop is "locked" to Verizon the way cell phones are?

The Troubleshooter says "Windows can't communicate with the device or resource. (primary DNS server)

This isn't my computer, so I am hesitant to do anything that I am not sure about. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:07 AM

They probably set a Proxy in the unit, either in Internet Explorer, or in the Registry.  Yes, delete the Verizon connection in Internet Options, in the Connections tab.  Check for a proxy in that same tab.

#3 rainlondon

rainlondon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

That wasn't it. I got it though, thank you anyway!

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

So what was the reason?

#5 rainlondon

rainlondon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

This is embarrassing....

The "wireless assistant" kept turning the WLAN off. That was all, and I feel like a supreme moron. :-S

"Exterminate!!!"

Thanks for your help though, I appreciate your taking the time.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users