Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games lagging after installing Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WordTa

WordTa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

A couple of days ago I was playing games on my computer (everything running smoothly), stopped to do homework and decided to install the 8.1 update while I wasn't on. I come back after restarting after the update and my games lag. Two examples would be League of Legends and Assassins Creed with ridiculously low FPS. 

HP Pavilion (laptop) Microsoft OS 64-ask for any other specs.

So far what I've done:
-Re-installed drivers which had the error 43 message. The one on my Radeon went away, but the Intel one comes and goes every time I re-install it only to come back after reboot, either way there is still lag. Edit: Neither get the error message now.
-I am currently running a McAfee scan, so if malware/etc is the case I will edit, but I doubt it. 

Edit: McAfee came up with no results. Currently running defrag using RegCross. Edit: Did recommended repairs. Nothing Fixed.

Edit: Right now I'm thinking that maybe it's my games that got scrambled in the update; re-installing Assassins Creed. Edit: Re-installed with no results.

I also saw posts about "mouse lag" and a patch for that was put out-I downloaded that as well to no effect. My computer is still on warranty, so I could send it in perhaps, but I don't know what they do/if it would help. Some have suggested to downgrade to 8, but I don't have disks as it was already installed on my laptop. Would rather not pay to fix this issue if possible.

Thanks,
Word

Edited by WordTa, 22 November 2013 - 03:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

What is the model# of your HP?  Also to let you know, there are just some computers that are just not any good for playing games.  Post your Speccy results.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Your HP should have a recovery partition with Windows 8 on it. This takes the place of disks. All you have to do is boot into the recovery disk and reinstall Windows 8. This will wipe out everything on your computer so back up anything you want to keep if you decide to reinstall Windows 8. I have an HP and press F11 when powering up the laptop to access the recovery partition. It likely is the same for you.

If you would rather post a Speccy log

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer. When the FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste. This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Also please do not edit your first post to add things that you are doing, as it makes it harder to determine if you have tried suggestions as no one gets notified of edits made to posts.

What else did you do with Reg Cross, as that sounds like a program to fix registry errors.

The fact that you maybe lagging could be related to compatability issues with Windows 8.1 and McAfee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users