Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old 3.5" SATA used as external (E-sata question)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Is it possible to make an old internal 3.5" SATA drive into an external (self powered) ESATA connectable drive with the option of usb 2.0 connectivity for times when i dont have an e-sata port?

Also, is it possible to make a self powered 3.5" SATA to usb 2.0 enclosure? (possibly with 2x usb plugs or just 1 would be best)

Thanks for any info you can shed on this, and in-depth explanations are not discouraged as Im curious to know why this is or is not possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Hi drwmbt,
Cases with connections and cables to contain a 3.5" drive to be used as an external drive are available. You'd have to check with the vendor on which connection is used. I use an external SATA with a USB cable as my backup drive.
I have not seen an adaptor to convert SATA to USB but then I haven't looked for some time at the various conversion adaprots that are currently available.
Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

I would have to say not to likely.

The Problem is that a USB2 port has a 5 volt line that can supply 1/2 Amp maximum.

USB3 is a I believe 900Ma (9/10 amp) and that is not enough power for the electronics and the drive.

The second problem is that the 3.5" hard drives need 5 volt and 12 volt power and USB does not provide both, Only 5 volt.

The external Drive makers either provide a external power adapter or if they are designed as portable, Then they use laptop drives that can run on the 5 volt power from the USB port.

I hope this information helps.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users