Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot loop - all modes - black screen no login window, white cursor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gabaod

gabaod

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Topic pretty much sums it up.

I cannot boot this laptop in normal/safemode/last known good config etc etc.

Startup repair cannot fix it.  Chkdsk originally found some errors but did not fix the problem, ran multiple times.

Original problem was a BSOD, so I usb'd the hard drive to another pc, and checked for virus's, startup programs etc and found nothing peculiar.  Only problem I noticed is there was no SOFTWARE file in the system32/config folder at all, just the .log etc for them but no actual hive.  So I moved all the hives to a old folder and copied over the ones from the backup folder(april dates), also loaded them up to inspect for malicious issues with none found.  Now the BSOD does not occur anymore, but I get the starting windows screen, then it goes black, then a white cursor appears that is moveable, then it instantly dims and about 10 seconds later the cursor freezes and it auto restarts.  Happens with safe mode, last known good configuration, disable automatic restart etc...

explorer.exe to is listed as the shell within the registry and it is located in the filesystem.

I cannot do an inplace upgrade since windows is unbootable and I would like to not format and do a clean install, thus looking for assistance if anyone has seen this before.

This is Win7 Home Prem x64.

Thanks.

:love4u: 

Edited by gabaod, 23 November 2013 - 07:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:47 AM

Hi, Did you consider that the issue might be a hardware problem initially?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users