Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want to do clean install with external dvd drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 walkingheart

walkingheart

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

hey all.. i'm wanting to do a clean install, but my dvd drive is broken so i got a external dvd drive hoping i could do it that way, not thinking how i'm going to get my computer to recognize my external dvd drive first.. is there any way that i can do this?? my computer Really needs a go over and this is the only way i know how to do it.. any ideas anyone?? and thanks in advance for any replies.. i have another question about backing up my computer but i don't think this is the thread to do it on?? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

You're going to have to tell the machine to boot to the external drive.  You can either do this by modifying your boot order in BIOS or by pressing the Boot Menu key when your machine boots.

Without any real information about your machine (make and model?) or how the external drive is connected (USB?) there isn't much more I can suggest.

#3 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Typically the BIOS boot menu (F12 for most machines) will allow you to choose an "Internal or external CD/DVD-Rom drive" this is how its specifically worded on my dell machine, sometimes its listed with a choice for Internal CD drives and a separate choice for external CD drives, which it may call External or USB CD/DVD Drive, the option can vary but if your computer was made in the last 2-3 years or the bios was updated recently you should be in good shape.

#4 walkingheart

walkingheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

thanks for the quick replies.. i thought i'd have to go into bios but i didn't think you could boot up with the external dvd drive.. should i go into bios Before i do the install and try it before i do it.. i know that's kinda a duh huh question but i don't want to mess my rig up..

asus g73sw

intel i7

8 gigs ram

500 gb hd

nvidia geoforce 460m

thanks again for the quick replies..

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:01 AM

It does seem that your laptop comes with a recovery partition. Is the partition still intact? More information related http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G73Sw&os=&no=1775

Tekken

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

BTW at least on ASUS desktop motherboards the Boot Device menu is accessed by pressing the F8 key when the Asus logo appears on screen.

Try using the recovery partition first following the link jhayz kindly supplied. That is the best method as it will install Windows, Drivers and applications.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users