Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image or clone of HD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 richardboe

richardboe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Have a question about imaging or cloning the HD.   Clone I know requires a whole new blank HD.   My question is a drive image taking up less room (compressed) and savable to DVD or USB?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Imaging normally takes less space than the amount of data contained in the image.  If an image will fit on a DVD will depend on the amount of data in the image.  A base Windows 7 image for one machine type may fit without issue, a fully loaded machine, probably not.  USB shouldn't be a problem, provided the USB drive is larger than the image file(s).

This is basic information that may vary with the imaging tool selected and the type of data being imaged.

#3 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:26 AM

My experience is with Acronis True Image Home. The program compresses the disk image somewhat and makes it smaller than a raw disk image. The Acronis disk backup includes the MBR and the SYSTEM RESERVED partition (for Win 7). The size of the image depends greatly on how many applications you have installed. The swap and hibernation files don't get stored. My dual-boot Win 7/Win 8.1 boot disk, all 3 partitions, takes up slightly less than 28GB. A fresh Win XP install weighs in at 6.4GB, and a fresh Win 7 install is about 17GB.

One of the things I do is make a bootable USB stick from the Acronis Recovery iso, on a 32GB stick, and add the .tib file (the disk image) to it. That puts everything in one place. For XP you might be able to do that with a double-layer DVD (8.4GB) but a stick is better. You probably won't get a Win 7 image on anything short of a BlueRay disk or 32GB stick.

#4 richardboe

richardboe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for those helpful answers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users