Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem connecting my laptop with my tv

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AsperTynga

AsperTynga

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hello.

I couldn't find any soulutions from the whole google so far, maybe you guys can help me.
I wanted to connect my ASUS laptop with my Philips HD Ready(not full hd) tv using DVI-A cable(only thing I have figured out from the google is that, this DVI type may be not suitable, but I am not sure). So I bought this damn cable with 19 euros. Now, I have VGA output coming out from my laptop, I connect the VGA end(male) of the cable with the computer and other end, which is DVI(male), to my tv and it doesn't work! I do all the necessary setup in the windows display settings and in the NVIDIA control panel, also try all the different setups that there can be. Computer recognises tv and shows its all connected and fine, but no picture on the tv. I would really hate to waste 19 euros, so please help me out here.

Computer specs:
ASUS notebook K520IN series
Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.10ghz
4 gb ram
Windows vista 32 bit
NVIDIA Geforce G102M Cuda 512mb

TV:
Philips 32PF3320

Thank You Very Much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

Looking at the picture in the Philips manual you're not going to be able to go from VGA to DVI as the cable required has four pins around the flat blade that is off by itself.  The top image is what your TV has, the bottom one is what you need to go from VGA to DVI

Does your laptop have a digital out? (HDMI, DVI or mini DVI)  I wasn't able to find any information on the laptop using the information you provided.

#3 AsperTynga

AsperTynga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

My laptop has VGA output. And i just checked my TV's DVI socket, it is the bottom one, which has those four pins around that flat one and my cable fits perfectly. My computer even recocnises this tv and all, in the displat settings screen it even shows the secondary screen: "Philips TV DVI"

Edited by AsperTynga, 22 November 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

The only other solution I could recommend would be a USB to DVI adapter.

#5 AsperTynga

AsperTynga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

So you are saying there's no way I can use this cable to get picture from my laptop to my TV ?

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Not if the jack on the TV is the top image.  The top image, without the four extra pins, is a digital only connection, VGA is analog.  If the connector on the TV is the bottom image then you are looking at a possible setting issue, wrong input on the TV or wrong resolution coming from the laptop.

#7 AsperTynga

AsperTynga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Well, I actually told u that I have that bottom image with those four pins u told about. Can u give me any advice about the settings ?

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Time to RTFM (Read the Fine Manual)

Page 17 of the manual I posted earlier:

PC with VGA

Connect the monitor output (VGA) of your computer via a

VGA/DVI adaptor to the DVI In of the TV. Connect the sound

output Audio out of the computer to the input DVI Audio in of

the LCD TV.

For more information on using PC mode see page 10. (Page 14 of the PDF)

Configure the computer on 1024 x 768, 60 Hz for optimum

resolution

#9 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

Try turning the computer OFF , connecting the cable then turning the PC back on, make sure your TV's Input is on the right choice for your requirements. once your PC begins to boot you should see the picture come on, if the connection is established.

If you actually are able to connect your VGA->DVI converter cable into the TV as you say you are (and its not forced or incompatibly plugged in) then you may just need to follow the above directions.

Im not sure why your TV's manual would explain it having a DVI-D plug, then you mention that in person your TV appears to have the DVI-I style plug with the four pins, that baffles me, but if your TV has the DVI-D style plug and you have a DVI-I style cable you are out of luck, and im sorry to explain that you found there are so many subtle nuances to this cable, it has happened to me in the past, as im sure it has to lots of others.

Please double check and verify your plug on your TV and the plug on your converter to confirm they are connecting properly, 100% correctly, using the diagram below:

6e3e3ebe_vbattach231827.jpeg

Edited by drwmbt, 22 November 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#10 AsperTynga

AsperTynga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

My laptop has VGA, and the cable that I am using has VGA on one end also, it fits perfectly. My TV slot is like that DVI-I Dual Link(female) and my cables other end is DVI-A(male), which also fits fine. As I told before my computer even shows theres a connection between TV and Computer.

#11 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

there are cheap-o dvi-i to vga adapters (passive) and then the good news, there are cheap-o dvi-d to dvi-d cables for purchase, intead of those expensive dvi-d to analog vga converters. also, some display ports connecting to a tv require extra-special care on the resolution settings (1080p i.e.). i would recommend going the hdmi route if possible, definitely.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users