Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pdpshyne

pdpshyne

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:31 AM

Using IE, I try to access site with flash like nba.com or espn.com and it'll have a message saying that I need to download the plugin to view this media. I go download the lastest version and see the successful installation movie afterward, but when I try to go to these sites again, I see the same message. Even when I try to play a game on my desktop that require Flash player, I can't because it says I don't have flash player installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:18 AM

Try going to the flash plugin site,and try to download it from there.You can find it here:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/in...=ShockwaveFlash

See if it works after this,fingers crossed it will do.Also though,check your anti-virus, if its set to block ads or active x plugins,it can inteferre with the plugin installation, but if you do not see these options in your anti-virus,dont worry, it means you have not got them anyway and they are not the reason for your troubles. It could also have something to do with your Java being outdated,but that is less unlikely.

Also, i strongly suggest dishing IE anyway and download Mozilla Firefox(I think ive recommended this in all my posts :thumbsup: ) Im surprised just how many people are still using IE. The problem with it is it is highly proned to allowing malware to get into your pc everytime your online and just using another browser like Firefox can help save your pc from attacks that IE would let slip in.The reason for this is the code that IE is written in and hackers and attackers can get through these codes, Firefox isnt so easy.

you can download the latest version of Firefox here:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

I hope this helps!

:flowers:

Edited by graveangel, 03 May 2006 - 11:29 AM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#3 pdpshyne

pdpshyne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

I downloaded the flash player and it said installation successful, but when i try accessing other pages it's still not showing up. I do use Firefox, and rarely use IE. The problem I have with this is that it won't allow me play games that require flash.

#4 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:31 PM

Hmmmmmm thats a little odd. Try this,goto control panel, selct java(the coffee cup logo) then goto the update tab and click update now,it will probably say your java is up to date,because i dont think that is the problem, but it still could be,so give it a try.As always,before you change anything like this,just make a new system restore log incase you need to go back.

Other than that, the one thing i suggest is either update to a newer version of IE or search through google inputting the problem you are having and see what results it comes up with.One thing i curious over is,are you getting a red x in the corners where the game should load? If so,try going up to TOOLS>OPTIONS then select to delete cookies,then also select to delete temp files,then in the box it brings up,delete the offline content aswell,that might take a min or two,but its normal depending on how much is in there. Also look for the CACHE option somewhere in there and delete the cache content,its not a definate to work,but it has known to in the past doing this.

In the meantime,i will try to find things out for you,so i will post back when i find anything more out(im not really an IE expert,because i use Firefox) If you do manage to get it working in the meantime,or those suggestions above do work,please post to let me know! :thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#5 pdpshyne

pdpshyne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

My java is already up to date, so I dont think that's the problem. I don't get a red X box, but I get a prompt saying "Error loading game. This game requires Flash player 6 or higher. Go to macromedia.com to install Flash" and then it redirect me to the download page for Flash.

I've tried googling it but nothing has come up so far.

One thing though, I tried to access Flash-heavy pages and went to www.wheeloffortune.com and it redirects me to a page saying I need Marcomedia Flash Player to view the media on the page. But it also has a link that says "If you know you have Flash player installed and been directed here by mistakes, click here". When I click that it'll refresh the page with flash media showing and working perfectly.

#6 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: Thats all a little strange!

One helping thing would be to find out if its actually the flash software itself or IE that the problem is with.
Go to this test site now and see if the software works,the flash section part normally takes a min or two if nothing happens at first:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Im also interested to know if you have Shockwave Player installed also? If not,then install it,and any updates that are available.

Also,do you have an ''Add-Blocker'' as part of your anti-virus or spyware software and is it turned on? If you have and it is turned on,turn it off and try to see if that helps, normally add blockers will prevent software,like games and video loading on web sites because it recognises them as adds.
Some Internet Utilities, such as Norton Internet Utilities, perform functions similar to a firewall and may restrict viewing of ActiveX controls. You need to ensure that your firewall or utility settings are set to allow ActiveX controls or you will not be able to view Flash movies in Internet Explorer.

I found these instructions below from macromedia themselves,try them:

Internet Explorer ActiveX settings
Although your browser security settings should be chosen by you or your system Administrator, the 'Medium: Default Level' will allow you to view Macromedia Flash content. For any Custom Level, ensure that both "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" are not disabled. (Enable or Prompt will work).

To view your Security Level do the following:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Choose Tools then Internet Options.
3. Select the Security tab.
4. Choose Internet.
5. Ensure that "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" are not disabled.

If you are having trouble installing make certain that your Internet Explorer security level is not set to High or at a custom level which does not allow viewing of ActiveX controls.

I hope this helps,if not it may be an uninstall of the FlashPlayer and download and older version if the flash worked before,or,an updated version of IE, which version are you using incidently? I know Microsoft has just released a beta version of IE7,you can read more about it browsing the Bleeping Computer forums and see what others make of it,you may want to consider downloading it and give it a go,but thats up to you. Again let me know what happens as soon as you can!

#7 pdpshyne

pdpshyne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:03 PM

Man, I've tried all that and still nothing. This is getting frustrating.

#8 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:56 PM

Are you running a firewall?and if so is it Zone Alarms?

If it is try going here and just read through this forum,apparently if you have Zone Alarm (and i bet you havnt now ive mentioned this) Flash has a problem with it. Even if you have not got Z.A, have a look anyway,they think its to do with privacy settings in Z.A and/or the browser being used.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=25296

If this does not help,im at a bigger loss as you,but i will continue to look for you.

Edited by graveangel, 07 May 2006 - 10:58 PM.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:40 AM

Are you by any chance using Spywareblaster?
There is a setting in it, that will disable Macromedia Flash.

Open Spywareblaster, and click on Tools.
Click the Flash Killer tab, at the top.
If present, remove the check from Disable and block Macromedia Flash in Internet Explorer.
Close, and reopen IE.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 pdpshyne

pdpshyne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:53 PM

No I dont have Zone Alarm or Spywareblaster. I have AVG Virus Center and Spyware Doctor. I dont get how Flash works fine in Firefox, but doesn't in IE and I can't open games with Flash.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:03 PM

You say you updated, but have you tried a total uninstall, and reinstall, of your Flash Player?
When uninstalling, be sure to use the uninstaller provided by Adobe:
How to uninstall the Macromedia Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control

Have you read this:
Flash movies do not appear after installing the Flash Player
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#12 pdpshyne

pdpshyne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:18 AM

yea i uninstalled it through Add/Remove programs and installed it again.

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:43 AM

That's not the same as using the uninstaller.
Try the uninstaller recommended, in my first link.
Just use the one for your Operating System.

#14 pdpshyne

pdpshyne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:26 AM

Yay!!!! It works. Thank you both of you.

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

You're welcome, pdpshyne.
Glad you were able to get your problem resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users