Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon picture download problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nakish

nakish

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi, 

I have a problem downloading my pictures from my canon Powershot A530.

Just started after having some work done.

I hear a faint beep when I hook up the cable but nothing happens  I have installed the cd that came with it.

Thanks

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

I would just pull the card, and use a USB card reader to pull the files.  Also you do not need to install any software that came with the camera, the computer will read the files off of the camera without it.

Have you tried fresh batteries in the camera, along with a different USB cord?  Have you tried hooking the camera up to another computer to see if it shows up in My Computer as a drive?  What is the make & model of your computer, and what Operating System are you using.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

First of all, welcome to BC.

Second,

Just started after having some work done.

To what does this refer - the camera, the computer or yourself ?

The whole Powershot / Sureshot series are excellent and reliable pocket cameras which take excellent photos. We currently have three of them, of different vintages. And they all came with software and a connecting USB cable. I tried the software and promptly binned it. Transferring images using the software and the cable was a slow process and really drained the camera batteries.

As Greg says, the simplest - and quickest - way to transfer images from the camera card to a computer is to use a card reader connected to the computer. All you need then is to use Windows Explorer to move the files around. If you have a laptop, almost all modern laptops have an SD card reader built into them. Take the card out of the camera - do it with the bottom upwards or the batteries fallout - and push it into the SD slot either on a laptop or on a separate card reader which connects to a USB socket on virtually any computer.

If you don't have a card reader built into your computer, they are readily and widely available. I got mine for about £UK 6.00 in my local super market. The other advantage of using a card reader is that it eliminates any problems with the camera.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 nakish

nakish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

thanks Chris and Greg for your help. I have a Dell Inspiron 530 running Windows 7. I have connected to my laptop with the cable and it works.

Chris, the work was doneon the computer.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

Most likely the USB chipset is dying, or too many devices connected to the USB bus. Try using a powered USB hub on the machine, or install a USB card, which you can get pretty cheap at Newegg.com or Tigerdirect.com.

The Rosewill adapters are really good for the price.

#6 nakish

nakish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

Many thanks Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users