Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Laptop

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 harty

harty

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hi I am running windows 7 ultimate and recently from turning on my laptop to getting to the google screen takes between 10-15 minutes I tried running the "autorun" program as recommended by the Startup list forum but still the same ..need help please 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Without knowing the make and model of your machine it is hard to give much assistance.

Normal issues for slow operation are a lack of physical memory and a failing hard drive.  The lack of physical memory can cause a failing hard drive due to over use for memory swapping.  I'd recommend backing up your data before proceeding.  After your data has  been backed up run a diagnostic on your hard drive.  Many laptops have hardware diagnostics in their BIOS.

#3 harty

harty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

my laptop is an OLIVETTE ...OLIBOOK S1500 HOW DO I RUN A DIAGNOSTIC ??

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Let's get some more information so we can have a better understanding of what may be causing the computer to run slow before running any diagnostics.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 harty

harty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/D3byolzcMbBUpmMwf7fuPmE

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

The Speccy shows the hdd's S.M.A.R.T. status to be good.

The uncorrectable  sector count is normal.

The temperature is within tolerance.

There is 86% free space.

I would say that the hdd looks good.

You only have 2GB of RAM, if you add another two 512MB modules with the same specification of the other module this will bring you up to 3GB of RAM and should run in dual channel.  With a 32-bit operating system you are only going to be able to use 3 to 3.5GB of RAM, but with the added 1GB of RAM you will notice an appreciable increase in performance.  Since there is only the one module and the computer is running I would be inclined to say there is no problem there.

Aside from hardware causing the computer to run slow there is the software to be considered and the possibility of a infection.  

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  When the installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then click on Finish.

3)  MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. 

4)  Click on perform Quick Scan, then click on the Scan button.

If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

5)  The scan will now begin, this may take some time to complete so please be patient.

6)  When the scan is finished click on Show Results to display all objects found.

7)  Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

8)  Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.

Make sure that every item shown in the results has a check mark in the box next to it, then click on Remove Selected.

9)  When removal is completed, a log will open in Notepad.

This log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next post, then exit MBAM.

Important:  If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Please copy the Malwarebytes log and paste it in your next post.

To locate this file right click on the Start orb and choose Open Windows Explorer, then click on C: drive.

When the C: drive opens click on the following:  ProgramData, Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Logs.  

If there is more than one log, choose the log with the date that you ran scan that I requested.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

From the manual, page 33, there is no built in diagnostic software and they want you to use the Windows tools

#8 harty

harty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.11.22.09

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16736
chris :: CHRIS-LAPTOP [administrator]

22/11/2013 19:04:25
mbam-log-2013-11-22 (19-04-25).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 211501
Time elapsed: 18 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

my laptop is an OLIVETTE ...OLIBOOK S1500 HOW DO I RUN A DIAGNOSTIC ??

If you still feel inclined to run a diagnostics on the hdd use SeaTools for DOS.  This works with all manufacturer's.

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

imgb1_zpsbb69e759.png

Right click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then click on Downloads.  Scroll down to the SeaTools for DOS download and click on it.  This will load the ISO image, you will see the information listed as it is in the image below outlined in red.

imgb2_zps3f021ae7.png  

Click on the blue arrow (also outlined in red) to start burning the bootable CD.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the long test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

#10 harty

harty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

sorry i dont feel comfortable running a test incase i mess up and laptop dies on me 

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

I can understand your discomfort with performing something which is unfamiliar to you.  But this will not cause any problems with your computer.  If the disc created has a problem it simply will not run.  If it runs it will only scan the hdd, it will not make any changes.  It is as safe as running the Malwarebytes scan.  Personally, from what I saw in the Speccy I doubt very much that there is a problem with the hdd.  My response was more to answer your question about how to run a diagnostics. :thumbup2:

#12 harty

harty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

ah ok arachibuyyrophobia thanks the malwares didnt come up with any virus maybe it is just the start up ??

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

Let's preform a Clean Boot to see if this is a third party drivers, corrupted service, or startup item are causing this.

In step 3b you will be instructed to restart the computer.  If the problem persists go to options B to disable the startup items, if the problem persists then the problem will not be found with a Clean Boot.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

(1)  Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

msconfig2_zps2e854ee3.png

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

Cleanboot_zps3b042516.png

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Restart.

Caution:  By disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

cleanboot16_zps67072642.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found, run the System Configuration Utility, then click on the check box to clear the item.

To open the System Configuration Utility:

(1) Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png.

(2)  Click on Control Panel

(3)  Click on Administrative Tools.  

(4)  Double click on System Configuration.

If the Service or Startup item is identified please include it in your next post. 

When you are finished, click on the General tab in System Configuration, then click on Normal Startup, click on OK, then restart your computer.

An aside:  My user name is dc3, yours is harty.  My member title is Arachibytyrophobia, yours is Member.  When you reach 1,000 posts you can change the member title to most anything you want, within reason and number of characters. :thumbup2:

Edited by dc3, 22 November 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#14 harty

harty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

did as you suggested got to the "disable all" clicked on restart then a message box appeared saying .....System Configeration Cannot Enable Restart ,,,,, 

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Did you click on Apply and then OK?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users