Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to start MSE and Defender, unable to download

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 customteran

customteran

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

Since yesterday it seems I have some mallware.

I have managed to run the Kaspersky TDSS Killer (advice from forums), found something, rebooted.

I have quickly installed AVG Internet Security (trial period) , Mallwarebytes AntiMalware Pro (trial period) .

Now I have scanned with all of these and again with TDSS Killer , and all of them report nothing.

But I am not able to download anything, all my downloads are deleted for virus reasons directly in the browser (IE9). I think that Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft Defender are corrupted, because I cannot start any of them, but I think one of them is blocking my downloads. Also my Windows Action Center reports that "Potentially harmfull software detected, but the "Clean" button does nothing.

All of this is happening with AVG and Malwarebytes active.... and no reaction ... so.... need some help :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 customteran

customteran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

After a lot of reading, I have managed to solve this with Hitman Pro and then RogueKiller.

The only thing that is not working is Windows Defender. I can click it in the Control Panel, the service is stopped, but when I hit "Start Now" to reactivate it I get "the specified service does not exist as an insltaled service (code 0x80070424).

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hi customteran,

Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop.
There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.

rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/
iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista or Windows 7 right-click on it and choose Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • Do not reboot until instructed.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

--------

Also, download the fixit from the Microsoft website, and follow the prompts presented.

Tell me how your computer is after running these and if there are any problems.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 22 November 2013 - 11:25 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hi customteran,

How are you getting on with the steps I gave you? 

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users