Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen at login, works in safe mode, done research no solution found

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adrian125

adrian125

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:07 AM

Hello all,

To get straight to the point, I have an Asus G74SX-XR1. It's got an Nvidia GeForce 560M video card. I use this computer for my karaoke business. After one night everything was fine, but then I tried to turn on my computer the next day and I got to the "starting windows" screen but then at login I got black screened. Naturally I thought a driver problem, so I went into safe mode (screen works) and tried different drivers but none of them allowed me to see the normal windows startup. 

I thought, ok, I just want and need a working computer, So I decided to upgrade and go to an SSD. I installed it and decided to reformat. Well upon reformatting, I still get the same problem!!! No login screen. The backlight is on but as soon as the finish setup screen appears I lose any graphics on the screen. Please help! Urgent!

EDIT: External VGA monitor works fine. Only laptop display doesn't. It's not the display/screen because it shows the post and starting windows perfectly.

Edited by adrian125, 22 November 2013 - 03:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

If your laptop display is only working in Safe mode, that means you have a driver issue, or you have it set to only use an external monitor.  You can go into the bios and set it to use only the laptop LCD.  Unhook the second monitor from the unit.  Also when you get into Safe mode, uninstall both the monitor & GPU drivers, along with any associated software for the Graphics chipset and monitor.

When windows boots back up, it will find and load the default Microsoft or manufacturer drivers for your machine.  Now of course, you can boot back into Safe mode, and install the drivers downloaded from the manufacturer website for your machine.  NVidia has been having issues with their drivers, both for Windows & Linux, so do not download from their site, the generic drivers for your GPU.

#3 adrian125

adrian125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

Greg,

Thanks for replying! If i reformatted, should it not have installed the original factory ship drivers? In which case my screen should be working so I have a feeling I am looking at something Bios or hardware related now. It could be the video card except for the fact that the video card works for external monitors. 

As for setting the bios, I went into bios (F2) and I didn't see any display options. 

What are the next steps to take?

--ADrian

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

No, not always.  Keep in mind that it will only install the proper drivers, if the OS version is from the manufacturer.  Otherwise, you need to download them from the manufacturer and install them yourself.  The other problem as I stated, is that if you have another monitor plugged in, it will not allow the lcd screen on the laptop to show anything, once it gets past the boot-up.

#5 gonnasmashit

gonnasmashit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

Same issue for me. I have an ASUS G74 with a 560M and today the screen started going black at the login screen. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers with the same result. Something else is going on here, too much of a coincidence...

edit:

Not sure if this will fix your problems but mine is working again. I hooked the HDMI output up to a 1080P monitor and could get video. I uninstalled the driver, installed NVidia GeForce Experience software and let it run. It found a much newer driver then the one Windows was automatically installing and said was current.

I rebooted the laptop and still had the same issue, the laptop screen did not work but my external monitor did.

I then shut down the laptop and it started installing eight windows updates. After the first or second update the video popped back on the laptop. I have rebooted and it seems to be working normally again.

Hope this helps!

Edited by gonnasmashit, 03 December 2013 - 10:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users