Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB key not responding after unsafe removal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hugo2

hugo2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:43 AM

While loading a Sony 32 GB USB key, my laptop started lagging. I got impatient and unplugged the key. The laptop restored but my USB doesn't work anymore.

I tried it in the laptop and another computer, but it's not responding. Its lights flash a bit, but further nothing. There is no auto-run, and it does not appear in My Computer nor in Disk Management. A program called "USB Deview" marked it as inactive.

It's probably a software problem in the USB, but how can I fix it if it cannot be accessed?

Can it still be repaired? I have a backup of the files, but I would love to still be able to use my USB key.

(Running win7 64bit SP1)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

You can probably reuse the USB key, but all data on it is lost.

Insert the USB key into your machine.  Press the start button, in the Search programs and files box type DISKMGMT.MSC and press enter.  This will get you into the Disk Managment.  If the drive shows in there you should be able to repartition and format.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users