Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Controller error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DavidK700

DavidK700

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hi all, seems i am having a problem connecting my laptop wireless-ly to the internet.

I recently had installed a new hard drive so i know that i needed to re-install all the drivers and everything however some of the discs that came with my computer don't work. And so i've had to go online to find some of the necessary drives.

I'm now stuck as to what i need to do, in Device manager, the only error that is displayed is the "Network Controller" It says that the drivers for this device  is not installed. But i had already thought i had installed all of that, as i downloaded all of the reccomended Drivers from the Dell website for my Alienware 14x-R2 laptop.  I also plugged my computer Directly into the modem which worked fine, but i am much a wireless person and would like to be able to use it wirelessly.

Any help finding me these darn missing drivers would be swell!

Thanks. =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

:welcome: David to Bleeping Computer Forums :)

You've mentioned of going to Dell Support site for the correct drivers. Do you refer to this Dell link?

Tekken

#3 DavidK700

DavidK700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

Thank-you:)

Yes that is the one! I have put in my service tag which gave me a list of 14 things i needed to download, Which i did yesterday but the error proceeded to occur!

Note: I have re-visited this website today, and found a link which finds what drivers i still need and it has found 2(which funnily enough i had thought i already downloaded them yesterday but it says it isnt installed lol), so i am currently downloading them now to see if that resolves the issue.

*fingers crossed*

Edit: didnt solve the prob :(

Edited by DavidK700, 22 November 2013 - 08:04 AM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm not sure on Alienware but on all other Dells there is a service tag number. On a laptop it will be on the bottom, white tag with black lettering, and will have some numbers and letters. You go to http://www.dell.com/support/my-support/us/en/19 put that number in, pick your OS, and it will find all drivers for your laptop. There should be a section for Network. Are those the drivers you installed? And how did you install them?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

Can you post the Windows version you were able to install next time please? Include also the wireless card brand if the suggestion above did not find any positive results.

Tekken

#6 DavidK700

DavidK700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hey guys thanks for the replies

@CaveDweller

Yes thats exactly what i did, i placed my number in and it gave me a list of 14 drivers for my service tag (2 of which were Network Drivers) Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller Driver    and Qualcomm Killer Wireless -N1202 Driver 

I downloaded these two and installed them from the website by clicking download file and then running it (atleast thats what i thought i did)

@Jhayz  I am running Windows 7, i'm unsure of my wireless card brand,how can i find that out?

Hopefully this is useful too, i dont know what it means but maybe use do.

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0034&SUBSYS_20031A56&REV_01

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0034&SUBSYS_20031A56
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0034&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0034&CC_0280

^^The error codes i recieve from the network controller, under the heading Hardware ID.

Thanks a bunch guys,appreciate the help

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or unzip to "C:\DELL\DRIVERS\Rxxxxx".(Where 'Rxxxx' is the name of the file to be downloaded). Write down this path so the executable (I.e.Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3. The Self-Extractor window appears.
4. Click OK.
5. After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor window is still open, close it.
6. Click Start button and then click Run.
7. Type "C:\DELL\DRIVERS\Rxxxxx" (where 'Rxxxx' is the name of the file) in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8. Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Yes it is a Qualcomm card. Did you follow the instruction from the link?

Tekken

#8 DavidK700

DavidK700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yes I installed it and it fixed the problem :D

Thanks very much!!!

#9 jhayz