Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows explorer hangs on startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 professorchaos

professorchaos

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

attmepting to access start menu causes explorer shell to hang, trying to terminate with taskmgr causes that to hang, safe mode is no better

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rkilmer214

rkilmer214

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm having the same issue on 2 laptops.

#3 professorchaos

professorchaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

ran chkdsk, been stuck on stage 4 - verifying file data about 10 hours now

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

Professorchaos - it always helps to include details of the computer such as make and model, or if it is a self-build, the main specifications - mobo, hard drive, RAM, O/S. It sounds like you could have hard drive problems. I would suggest you get a copy of the Seagate tools for DOS CD and run the diagnostic test. If you look at Post #5 on this topic

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514928/windows-explorer-crashes/

you will find full instructions by DC3 on how to do this - and he explains it far better than I can !

Rkilmer - first of all, welcome to BC. Second, I suggest you start your own thread on BC since, while your problems may sound the same as the Professor's, they may not be the same.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 professorchaos

professorchaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

sure - hp pavilion g7 1310us or some such, everything's factory, os is given...i'll try to figure out how to get access to a cd-r writing drive...checked smart data recently saw no warning signs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users