Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ME boots, then BSOD after key emulator is started

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

A friend came by with some old software, and needs a computer to run it.  It was originally running on windows 3.11, but he wanted USB support, so I installed Windows ME and installed the software.

The software he's using requires a dongle, which has been bypassed with an emulator coded by Todd K Grand @ safesoft systems inc.  Unfortunately the only information I can find about this company is a judges ruling on the legality of emulation software to bypass the physical security dongle for an old Brother embroidery program...

Sorry for all the background, just wanted to let you guys know this is kind of insane, but I'm enjoying the challenge.

This is blue screen I get after seeing a black screen verifying key emulation:

safelpt(02) + 0000377 Error: 0E : 0028 : C038DCB7

I've had to modify the system.ini file with the following lines to enable this emulator to load up, under [386enh]

devide=*cdpscsi

device=safelpTx.386

device=bridgepo.386

the bridgepo.386 file and safelptx.386 are both located in the windows directory.

I'd rather not go back to windows 3.11 because I don't believe I can find a video driver.

If anybody has any ideas I'd be grateful.  I've tried everything I can possibly think of at this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

Do you have Windows 98 handy?

#3 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:46 AM

I'm pretty sure I can find an ISO somehwere.  I just happened to have an ME disc available. 

Looks like drivers are available back to 95.  Using a Presario 1200US to try and get this going.

Edited by Trakeen, 24 November 2013 - 02:29 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

Windows ME was pretty picky about drivers and USB Devices.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

It looks like that dongle emulator loads as a virtual device driver in Windows 3.1x. It therefore might not work on Windows 9x.  Have you considered using Dosbox or VirtualBox to run Windows 3.x in a virtual environment in a more modern operating system?

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

If it loads fine in Windows 3.11 there is even more capability for it to work with future operating systems. Windows ME is very finicky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users