Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big Icons and Display Troubles Please help!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RoryIzaak

RoryIzaak

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

So I've turned my computer on one day and everything on my computer has turned huge, and has slowed down I have tryed the revolution of the screen but doesn't do anything. My AMD Radeon 6520g has notified me that it's having problems and has stopped and i don't know how to update or fix.
I have a Aspire laptop and Windows 7.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 November 2013 - 08:14 PM.
moved from Programming to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Uninstall the driver for the GPU & monitor, by starting up in Safe mode.  Then when you reboot, the OS will find the correct drivers, which should fix your problem.

#3 RoryIzaak

RoryIzaak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

Uninstall the driver for the GPU & monitor, by starting up in Safe mode.  Then when you reboot, the OS will find the correct drivers, which should fix your problem.

Yes i've done that but everything is still big.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

What kind of monitor are you using as your display device?

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

It's a common malware/pup symptom also... Might want to do a scan with ADWCleaner and MBAM. If they start turning up stuff you may want to start a thread in the malware forum.

edit: have you tried removing the card and seeing if the onboard gpu does the same thing?, that will confirm my above possibility.

Edited by TsVk!, 21 November 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#6 RoryIzaak

RoryIzaak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:11 AM

What kind of monitor are you using as your display device?

I've got a laptop? AMD Radeon 6520g 

#7 RoryIzaak

RoryIzaak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:26 AM

Id scanned with AmdCleaner and it said to restart and I did and now the laptop wont turm on!!!

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:45 AM

It's a common malware/pup symptom also... Might want to do a scan with ADWCleaner and MBAM. If they start turning up stuff you may want to start a thread in the malware forum.

edit: have you tried removing the card and seeing if the onboard gpu does the same thing?, that will confirm my above possibility.

Really?  What made you deduct that from the problems the OP is having.  No where would malware cause this problem that the OP is having.  You really need to just let the big boys that have been around this stuff a lot longer then you, handle these issues.

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:53 AM

Id scanned with AmdCleaner and it said to restart and I did and now the laptop wont turm on!!!

Do you mean that it will not boot up into Windows 7, or that it will not turn on at all, even though you still have the power adapter plugged in, and it has the power light lit.

If the power light is lit, but will not even boot up when you press the power button, do the following:  1) Unplug from the power adapter.  2) Pull the physical battery.  3) Unscrew the door on the bottom, and you will see a Lithium battery in there.  Be careful when removing it, due to how it is held into the holder.

Once you do all of that, and have placed the Lithium battery back in, which is the CMOS battery, and put back the physical battery, and plugged it back into AC power, you then need to go into bios setup and reset date & time to current.  It should hopefully boot back up into the OS.

Now if it doesn't, the OP fubar'd your OS with their suggestion, so you will now have no choice, but to reinstall Windows 8.  Suggest downloading the AMD drivers for the GPU from amd.com, not use the Toshiba drivers.  Same with the Realtek sound, LAN & Wifi chipset drivers.  The Toshiba drivers that Microsoft installs during their update of the OS, has been known to screw things up (found out the hard way, when Beta testing 8.1, and even before 8.1 beta testing, the drivers they released prior to 8.1, would screw up amd, realtek chipsets with their signed drivers from their download repository).

Once you get the OS reinstalled, and the drivers from amd.com and realtek.co.tw, the machine should work, and never again, take the advice that your machine is infected, when it is actually not, and start running all kinds of disinfection software.

#10 RoryIzaak

RoryIzaak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:33 AM

I downloaded ADWCleaner and it took 2 hrs until my laptop could turn back on... 

#11 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

What do you mean by turn back on?  Do you mean before you could get into Windows?  Again, if you cannot get back into Windows, and the repair option is not working, the OP advice, caused you to fubar your machine, which means as I stated above, you will need to reinstall the OS, from the Restore DVD's you made (I really hope that you made that set of restore DVD's, when you first got that machine, otherwise you will have to contact Acer and get a copy from them at a cost).

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

Really?  What made you deduct that from the problems the OP is having.  No where would malware cause this problem that the OP is having.  You really need to just let the big boys that have been around this stuff a lot longer then you, handle these issues.

Greg, I you are flaming me. Waving your thing around and flexing your muscles does not make you a big boy.

i saw this exact same symptoms 2 weeks ago with malware, which I solved with ADWCleaner, JRT and MBAM. I am not guessing.

You don't know who I am, how old I am or how long I have been involved in computing. The field is changing so quickly anyhow that most of our experience from the 80's is not applicable. This is a free site and I will not be knocked down by bullies. I am here to help and learn, not rub shoulders.This is not football.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

It is good that it did come back up. Did you get to run the application? Did the application detect malware?

if not...

If you right click on 'my computer', click manage>event viewer>windows logs>system... wait a moment for it to load. Can you see hardware errors in here? in applications can you see errors? What are they? Scroll down on each list.

edit:

Actually it will be easier if you run Minitoolbox and check

*Last 10 events

*List users partition and Memory

This is a diagnostic program, won't modify and restart your machine...

Edited by TsVk!, 22 November 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#14 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

Sorry, but malware does not cause the display to change resolution or change the icons to a larger size.  Good try, but again, not on target.  And no it has not changed in how troubleshooting has been done since the days computers were introduced into the home.  Trouble shooting matter of fact has not changed at all since the day that the first computer was ever manufactured.

As for the interface, yes it may have changed since the days of Windows 95, but underneath, it is still the same OS, even though the gui has changed.

The OP issue is either a driver or a hardware issue with the GPU, not a malware issue.

#15 RoryIzaak

RoryIzaak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

Do you mean that it will not boot up into Windows 7, or that it will not turn on at all, even though you still have the power adapter plugged in, and it has the power light lit.

If the power light is lit, but will not even boot up when you press the power button, do the following:  1) Unplug from the power adapter.  2) Pull the physical battery.  3) Unscrew the door on the bottom, and you will see a Lithium battery in there.  Be careful when removing it, due to how it is held into the holder.

Once you do all of that, and have placed the Lithium battery back in, which is the CMOS battery, and put back the physical battery, and plugged it back into AC power, you then need to go into bios setup and reset date & time to current.  It should hopefully boot back up into the OS.

Now if it doesn't, the OP fubar'd your OS with their suggestion, so you will now have no choice, but to reinstall Windows 8.  Suggest downloading the AMD drivers for the GPU from amd.com, not use the Toshiba drivers.  Same with the Realtek sound, LAN & Wifi chipset drivers.  The Toshiba drivers that Microsoft installs during their update of the OS, has been known to screw things up (found out the hard way, when Beta testing 8.1, and even before 8.1 beta testing, the drivers they released prior to 8.1, would screw up amd, realtek chipsets with their signed drivers from their download repository).

Once you get the OS reinstalled, and the drivers from amd.com and realtek.co.tw, the machine should work, and never again, take the advice that your machine is infected, when it is actually not, and start running all kinds of disinfection software.

Thanks, My Driver is AMD Radeon 6520g could you give me some links on how to update all this :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users