Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pretty major lighting issue...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Enternius

Enternius

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hey guys.

So I started playing some games on my gaming laptop (Asus G60VX). For the time being, I've installed STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I'm not sure if these two games use a similar engine or something, but I have a rather huge issue with shadows in the game. I'll include a video at the end of this post.

Basically, as I look around in either game, the entire screen will get enveloped in shadow. I'm entirely unsure of what could cause this. All of my drivers are up to date (Just ran DriverScanner literally minutes before recording this video), and I'm struggling to come up with anything else I could do to fix it.

Anyway, if any of you recognize this issue and know how I can fix it (Hopefully it's not a hardware issue, it's real hard to deal with on a laptop), I'd be grateful.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW9PBJB26RA Recorded using FRAPS, it doesn't work too great on my laptop so bear with me.

Thanks for your help, in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hi,

Are these your computer specs?  I would like you to verify the graphics card in your machine, the amount of Ram you have and your processor.  The rest of the items are less important.  To me, at first glance it seems the game is not rendering correctly.  Also let me know what you have these games set at.  Anti-aliasing, lighting, shadows on or off, weather effects, all of those kind of settings.  You didn't say what you have the games settings at so you may want to turn down all settings to min and see how it runs then.  Then slowly turn up the settings until the shadow artifacts start to show up again.  Then turn it back one notch. 

According to this page, that card can run Skyrim at medium to high settings.  But depending on your processor and system ram your mileage may vary.  Remember notebook graphics cards are not full blown version of GPU's like you get in a desktop PC so it is always hit and miss, although with my Radeon HD6650M I have had no issues with any games to this point.

Thanks

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#3 Enternius

Enternius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hey Dacar.

That's my computer, yessir. I guess I could have afforded to give more info in my original post. Not surprisingly, turning off shadows altogether does "fix" the problem. Additionally, STALKER has an option to turn off the shadows cast by the sun only, and that does away with the weird shadows I was getting. No other settings seem to affect it, but gonna try again.

--

I just took a moment to mess with settings and it seems turning off HDR and reverting it back to static lighting seems to fix the issue, so it must be a problem with HDR. Here's a link to what it looks like with each of the three settings: http://imgur.com/a/xjepx

That said, I'd like to understand what causes HDR to function this way, as I remember it working properly back when I played Oblivion.

Edited by Enternius, 25 November 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#4 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Have you updated Skyrim?  I know that they had a HDR "bug" at release.  I recall reading a lot about that in the early days.  But I think it was resolved.  Not sure about the other game you mentioned.  I know that sun shadows (from trees, etc) and shafts are generally taxing on a GPU.  Here is a thread on the official forums I bookmarked when the game came out and wanted to mess around with the lighting effects.

Regarding your other question about why HDR functions the way it does, here is a very interesting thread from back in 09 about HDR and what it is trying to simulate.  I am not sure this answers your question to the full but it gives a good outline of what HDR is and what it tries to accomplish in a video game.  I think that the combination of settings you had were just too much for your processor, Ram and GPU combination.  You can continue to try to play with settings or even the ini file.  Here is another thread from the official forums on shadows: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1257566-potential-shadow-fix/page-3?hl=%2Bhdr#entry19284446

Go to the officlal forums and search on 'HDR".  You'll find plenty of threads that may help you experiment and find the best settings for your machine and for your eyes.

BTW, I love Skyrim.  Morrowind and Oblivion were also epic and lots of fun for many hours. 

Edited by Dacar92, 26 November 2013 - 05:27 PM.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

personalyl that laptop would struggle to play them games properly. Set everythign down to medium or even less other wise get a proper gaming machine for them games mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users