Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003 Hyperlinks not working

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 heavy1

heavy1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Periodically I get the following error when I am using my Outlook email program and try to click on a hyperlink.  I am hoping someone can help me with this problem as it is a pain in the butt.  I have already checked Microsoft’s website, downloaded and ran the recommended “fixit” with no success.  I downloaded a batch file entry for my registry which was written by somebody who had this same problem.  If I run this file it corrects the problem for the moment, but then it is back again.  It seems if I have closed Outlook and reopened it the problem happens.  I have also noticed that it can appear if I open Outlook after waking my computer out of “sleep mode”.  As I stated, the problem is sort of intermittent.  Here is the info on my system.  Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7x64 Professional.  My Office program is 2003 version.  Here is the error:

This operation cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Contact system administrator.

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2013 - 06:43 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

That outlook is old and outdated really. Microsoft doesn't even support outlook anymore they have gone to Live essentials live e-mail which is free. It's like 10 times better. It's ok to keep the office word etc, but outlook just stinks and the security stinks you gotta download 2 service packs just to secure outlook. Outlook is just garbage nothing but problems setting up security certs with it. I highly recommend downloading Microsoft Live Essentials and during the install process just check that you want windows live e-mail. Once it's installed migrate over or import your accounts and mail over to live e-mail from outlook.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

Have you tried a repair installation from the remove programs menu in the control panel?

edit: and I agree Outlook is outdated in a domestic environment, though it does have its place in a corporate one. An even better, and free, alternative is Thunderbird. Which walks all over MS email client products.

Edited by TsVk!, 21 November 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

Last two, lets back up a bit.  The OP is using Outlook 2003, which is a part of the Microsoft Office package.  They still support the Outlook email program.  As for not having its place in a home environment vs. Corporate, it is used widely in the home environment by students, or people working from home.

As for the whole Thunderbird vs. Outlook argument, the OP is not looking for that, nor are they inquiring about using Microsoft Essentials.  Just answer their question people.

heavy1, Microsoft has tightened the security settings on Outlook, so that links cannot be just clicked and allow you to open them, especially if the email is marked as Spam or Junk mail.

You need to check the security settings for Outlook 2003, along with if it is marked as Spam, or placed in your Junk mailbox.  I stopped using Outlook after I got Windows 8, due to too many times when I first got the machine, that I was having to reinstall 8, because MS was screwing things up with updates.  So now all I use is my @att.net Yahoo mailbox.

For more info on Outlook or any other Microsoft office product, Slipstick.com has a lot of good info on their site.  More then what Microsoft.com has on how to fix Office products, along with Exchange and Server.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

get off your soapbox Greg... I did answer the question with a request for more information/possible solution (see my first sentence). And offered a second solution that will do away with the problem.

Just because loads of people use Outlook does not mean it is a good client, you know that... as you said yourself you have moved away from it.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

get off your soapbox Greg... I did answer the question with a request for more information/possible solution (see my first sentence). And offered a second solution that will do away with the problem.

Just because loads of people use Outlook does not mean it is a good client, you know that... as you said yourself you have moved away from it.

I am not on my Soap Box.  I only made the point that you and the OP seemed to have missed what the OP asked about.  If they wanted to know about alternative email programs, they would have asked about that.

Just stay on topic, and answer the OP question, or do not reply at all to them, if you do not have an answer for their problem.

Edited by Greg62702, 21 November 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hmmm, I disagree with you. Anyhow....

How you coming OP? Have you tried a repair installation?

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

Hmmm, I disagree with you. Anyhow....

How you coming OP? Have you tried a repair installation?

And why do you think they need to do a repair installation.  This does not need a repair install of either Outlook, nor their Operating System.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

I'm talking about a repair installation of Office from the remove programs menu...

I am a sysadmin/tech and deal with this all the time...

How do you know what it does and doesn't need? If the application is corrupt and throwing errors even after the recommended patches what would you suggest? That the OP look at some other site?

#10 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

If it says it has been cancled by the administrator thn just goto run and type inetcpl.cpl   , then goto the Programs tab and reset Internet Explorer as the default browser.

See if that works.

#11 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

I'm talking about a repair installation of Office from the remove programs menu...

I am a sysadmin/tech and deal with this all the time...

How do you know what it does and doesn't need? If the application is corrupt and throwing errors even after the recommended patches what would you suggest? That the OP look at some other site?

You do know that you can do a repair of Outlook, without having to go to Programs & Features in Windows 7/8 or All Programs in earlier versions, don't you?  It can be done in Outlook 2003 from Help, and also can be done with the Office 2003 by using the /f flag in Run, to force a Setup & repair.  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office-2003-resource-kit/repairing-office-2003-installations-HA001140241.aspx

Then again, you are a Systems admin, who probably did not know that.  Again, that is not why the OP is having problems, and let them come back to verify if the email was marked as Spam or in the Junk Email folder, before you go off on some tangent.

I have been around computers since 1977, and have been dealing with Windows since 3.1, along with Office since the days when it was first introduced.  I think that I know more about dealing with this issue, then you have contributed.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

I'm yet to hear you suggest anything other than the OP go to another site... Please stop. We are trying to help someone here.

I have a whole sequence of troubleshooting steps that I use for Outlook, and repair installation is often the first... And it often works.

Let's stop this bleepery, and let OP chime in now.

Edited by TsVk!, 22 November 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#13 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:44 AM

I'm yet to hear you suggest anything other than the OP go to another site... Please stop. We are trying to help someone here.

I have a whole sequence of troubleshooting steps that I use for Outlook, and repair installation is often the first... And it often works.

Let's stop this bleepery, and let OP chime in now.

So far from what I have seen, none of them work, so why not let the big boys handle this.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:51 AM

I apologise for my part in the destruction of your thread OP, if you ever come back...

Good luck to you Greg.

#15 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hi heavy1,

I had a similar problem recently and this is what fixed it for me:

1 - Reset your IE settings > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

2 - Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Default Programs> Set Default Programs and make sure that your default browser has all its defaults.  If not click on 'Set this program as default'.

Hope this helps you fix your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users