Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Allow network guest access with single band routers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stevesretired?

stevesretired?

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

I want to provide GUEST access to the internet on my existing DSL wired/wireless network that has this configuration:

DSL line comes into an Actiontec M1000 wired router (configured as my DHCP server). 

Cable goes to a hub 2 floors above and in another room. 

A LINKSYS WRT54GL configured as a WAP is cabled into the hub and provides wireless service at one end of building as well as cable  connections to a couple of computers and a network printer.

Another hub cable goes to a WRT54GS at the other end of the building also configured as a WAP providing wireless at the other end of the building.  Both WAP's have the same SSID.

Questions:

1).    Should I just add another LINKSYS WRT54GS with a different SSID at one end of the building and a LINKSYS WRT160N at the other end giving them the same SSID (but different from my original SSID?

2).   Would it make more sense to load "other" firmware on the modems I already have and configure dual SSID's on the same modems?

3).  Does using separate SSID's totally isolate anyone on SSID-2 from my secured SSID-1 network?

4).  Should I assign wpa and a generic pwd for the "guest' network?

All routers have been donated so no cost is involved.

I'm an old mainframe/mid-tier/pc programmer an am volunteering to do this support to keep learning.             Thanks for any info

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jayges7

jayges7

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hello there, analyzing your configuration I think that the better option is to install other firmware (like DD-WRT for example) on your routers. This give you the advantage of setting up guest access without having to install extra routers. It does it by creating a virtual wireless interface that allows you to have two wireless LANs.

-This firmware lets you configure multiple WLANs in each router.

-You can setup one WLAN as your main wireless access and another WLAN for "guest access".  

-You can also setup the WLAN for "guest access" in a different VLAN isolating the traffic from your other devices on the building. (Giving a different SSID name to the WLANs does not isolate them by default, you need to set one of them in a different LAN using the VLAN tagging that the firmware provides.)

-You can assign any type of encryption (wireless security: WEP, WAP, etc) you want to the "guest access" wifi or even leave it open if you want any visitor to have access to wifi without having to ask for a password.

EXAMPLE SETUP:

LINKSYS WRT54GL

WLAN 1:

SSID: mynetwork

Security: WAP2 Personal

network: 192.168.0.1

WLAN 2: 

SSID: guest

Security: WAP2 Personal

network: 192.168.2.1 (VLAN tagging lets you setup the WLAN2 in a different network than the WLAN1)

Here is a guide on how to perform this setup on DD-WRT firmware. 

Hope this can help you.

Edited by jayges7, 22 November 2013 - 04:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users