Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing information in details pane for media files (such as song length)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

I googled the problem and NOTHING!!!!! many information NO LONGER is displayed in my details pane in Windows Explorer!!!!!! song length is one of them gone missing (& total length if multiple files are selected) and I use that frequently!!!!! it ONLY shows basic information now such as artist, title, album, and genre!!! but total length is GONE!!! also MANY UNRELATED INFORMATION is now in the details pane for media files!!!!!!! mood of music has been added (never heard of that tag), song rating, and composer now have been added!!!! it even displays ALL THIS SAME INFORMATION for WAV files when it used to be ONLY file size and length for WAV files!!!!!!! WAV is NOT capable of tags so I don't know why Windows Explorer shows this information for WAV files!!!!!!

HOW DO I GET MY DETAILS PANE BACK TO NORMAL???????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing?

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

Open Windows Explorer.

Next open the folder the music is in.

Click View in the toolbar, then click Choose details.

Go through the list. UNCHECK anything you don't want listed in details pane.

Check what you do want listed. When finished click OK.

IF YOU DO NOT SEE THE TOOLBAR WITH FILE, EDIT, VIEW, etc. click the drop down arrow next to Organize/Layout/click Menu Bar.

#4 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

none of that works!!!! THAT ONLY APPLIES FOR FILES IN THE FOLDER INFORMATION, NOT DETAILS PANE!!!!!

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Again, can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing?

The instructions provided by Queen-Evie will allow you to add back the length.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

Please specify what you mean by details pane.

My answer is based on the details pane I see at the bottom of the page. Yes, that is actually called DETAILS PANE. Please keep in mind that you need to be specific especially when a term might have more than one meaning.

details-pane.png

#7 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

Please specify what you mean by details pane.

My answer is based on the details pane I see at the bottom of the page. Yes, that is actually called DETAILS PANE. Please keep in mind that you need to be specific especially when a term might have more than one meaning.

details-pane.png

that is what I'm talking about too!!! but those options ONLY APPLY FOR THE INFORMATION BESIDE THE FILE NAME NOT THE DETAILS PANE!!!!! IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE DETAILS PANE ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

YOU DITCH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE PURPOSELY TRYING TO LIE TO ME AND PROVIDE FALSE INACCURATE INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S WHY YOU DITCHED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Moltres Rider the information you were provided is correct.  Without a screen shot from you showing what you are seeing we are not going to be able to help you.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

Yes a screen shot would be useful.

Because the details pane is re-sizable, you can drag its top border up a bit. As the details pane grows larger, it starts to reveal more information about your highlighted file. So you could give that a try.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

YOU DITCH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE PURPOSELY TRYING TO LIE TO ME AND PROVIDE FALSE INACCURATE INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S WHY YOU DITCHED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is NOT how you deal with disagreements on advice given here or regarding staff members. Nor should you treat members this way. Further outbursts and violations of forum rules will be result in loss of forum privileges. Just in case you need a refresher the forum rule you violated is as follows.

"There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments."

I strongly urge you to to click the link above containing the forum rules and review them. If you have any other comments to make I urge you to send me a PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 kerrylou1

kerrylou1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

I don't know how exactly to put an image here, but I think you've all missed what the poster is trying to achieve. Since I am trying to achieve a similar thing I shall try to explain from my perspective.

If you right click on the media file in the pane you have posted [not here in the forum, on your computer] and go to properties it allows you to go to details, where you can [hopefully] add info such as Title, Artist, Album, Track No, etc. That is the details screen the poster is talking of... not the screen you have posted.

In my case I am trying to add details not already entered to a .wav file but finding myself unable to. I have given full permission to the 3 accounts shown but it has not changed my ability to add these details.

I can do it on mp3s but the lossy format changes the quality & I'm trying to burn an audio cd so I don't want the loss of quality Can anyone help?

#13 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

Have you tried using Itunes or Winamp? These programs can scan your computer and add the information to your songs, If you have the same problems with them then the problem is deper, if you can get the info you want using them then you shouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users