Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

microsoft's windows live 2006 - 2010 *OneCare Backup* worm external hard drive r

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 techiegal

techiegal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

11.21.2013, whew! after YEARS of my now 2TB plus 250 GB INTERNAL hard drives were supposedly cleaned of this HORRIBLE worm virus that got in through a trojan horse that i picked up at microsoft's * windows live * website after joining it BACK IN 2006 (!!!) as a community to learn more about my:

windows XP professional edition and ...

now ...

SP3 (service pack 3)

operating system

i need to know how to check for the virus on all of the external hard drives that i bought since the problems reared their ugly little heads upon performing what windows live called a * OneCare Backup *. 

the worm was unknown to microsoft, even, until approximately 2010.  i didn't understand all the $$$ i had to put out over time, since 2006/2007 problems began, all as a result of the infection caused by the TH mentioned above, for software support to dell. 

i spent some of that money buying external hard drives, including one made by iomega that holds a mirror (norton ghost 12) image of everything on my C:\ and D:\ (the 250 GB half of one 500 GB SATA drives with the configuration of RAID ZERO, a/k/a RAID-0) drives.  that image was made in april 2009. 

as to the other five (5) external hard drives, i have stored backup copies of all of my primarily microsoft-based program files, but especially important to me are my media files, which were attacked by the virus.  i do not even know the name of the virus itself, which brings me to ask for a microsoft professional to help me if possible, and what i would need to do to get ahold of one in case i must.

i watched the initial attack in horror:  one day, as i was looking at My Pictures *.jpeg or *.jpg files, i SAW them flying out of my vision.  i.e., they were disappearing!  i have never heard of a virus that could cause that to happen except a tech guy said it one time, but i do not know what type it is, a name for its type, a name for it in itself, or what happens if you get infected with it, therefore, if you know, please DO explain what you know about it.

i shut down my computer so fast!  but damage was already done:  all of my photos that began with an alphabetic letter were gone, through (for instance, starting at those with the character "a", then "b", then "c" filenames) another file name of another alphabetic character. 

i bought many software packages since the infection, first to retrieve the *.jpgs/*.jpegs that i lost, but back then (i think it was in 2007), i did not discover even that i was still infected! 

therefore, i *retrieved* many images as the system itself was operating, for instance, *.gif and *.tiff files that i had no use for.  back then, the company that sold me its file retrieval software then went on to demonstrate to me, given the file names that it used in retrieval (for example "___IMG dot jpg"), that i must then buy more software from it to obtain original filenames! 

all in all, i am sure i wasted thousands of dollars while trying to not only retrieve worm infected, vanishing as you watched, files that i discovered later were part of what microsoft called its website backup tool:  OneCare Backup (at windows live, so it can also be called *windows live OneCareBackup or OneCare Backup preceded with anything sounding at all like *microsoft windows live*). 

i had to purchase so many software support contracts for all the help i needed from dell computers, and i had to buy all those external (and a 2TB internal) hard drive(s).  add up such costs over time since 2006! 

you freak out, huh?  me too.

FINALLY, microsoft issued a bulletin that somehow dell tech read that explained the worm virus carried inside of the OneCare Backup utility that its *windows live* community used.  therefore, dell was able to, in 2012 and 2013, remove, so they told me, all of the infected files and kill the worm.  but how can i believe that given all of the hard drives that may have been infected?

my life is so damned COMPLICATED!  it is like having the bubonic plague! 

eventually, dell tech support used the Norton Power Eraser tool that they said, removed the virus.  on my internal hard drives.  only.

because, you cannot run NPE against an attached external hard drive.

i bought an apple computer and a macbook.  i want to copy the files that i need to THOSE computers, as well as, probably, an old windows XP SP3 OS laptop i have in some closet. 

without knowing that the files (*.xls, *.doc, *.png, *.jpg, and so on and so forth) ON the external hard drives are clean, how do i check that?  how do i use and what do i use to see if files contained on the various hard drives are infected by the same worm? 

how do i clean them so that they will not infect the apple, the apple mac, and the windows xp professional edition sp3 laptop computers? 

i need the files, but after THIS (!!!), you know i won't jeopardize my sanity, ever again, after getting any infection.  it will drive you into the insane assylum should it ever happen to you.

please advise in whatever ways you can and ways you know to be effective.  if you advise me on one part of this plea, please show me which part you are replying to by performing an Edit, Copy, and then a Paste into your reply, followed by what you have to say. 

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, AND THANK YOU!  be well, enjoy life! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users