Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Max memory usage Windows 7 from malwarebytes forum

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Guys,

I was getting assistance over at malwarebytes.org from Marius handle of Psychotic, the logs and files can be found with this link

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=136019#entry756374

Marius stated the following

• photo-thumb-140290.jpg?_r=0
  • Trusted Advisors
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,585 posts

Posted Today, 08:36 AM

Your issue seems to bee not malware-related.

Please start a new topic here: http://www.bleepingc.../167/windows-7/

Tell your helper that you came from here and have finished the malware removal process.

So here I am, I would truly be grateful for any help from a offical source.  Thank you in advanced

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

Part of the problem is that you are running with the minimum amount of RAM required for Windows 7 64-bit ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements ).  When Microsoft sets the minimums the system will boot, but from my experience, not run at anything the average user would deem to be acceptable.  From the time it takes to scan your C: drive you may have a failing hard drive.  This would partly due to over use becuase the system does not have sufficient RAM and is constantly writing to the hard drive's swap file.  Did you ever run the full Dell hard drive test?

#3 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

yes and no, did the simple HD test from the BIOS, I need to do the complete one, but was trying to run out the issue of malware etc.  I started to get BSOD about 4 days ago, right after some virus tools were ran.  My HD is almost full,  thanks for the reminder, I just need to get this right and move on.  I will do the HD test now and will be back again..... in a day or so. 

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

You have a 289GB hdd with only 8GB of free space.  You should have at least 10% free space, that would be 28.9GB.  This lack of free space will slow your computer and can cause the issues you are experiencing.

Try freeing up space.  If there is data which is seldom accessed you could store it on a form of removable media, like CDs, DVDs, flash drives, a second hdd, etc.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

I because you are a member and not a forum mod, which is what I am, will give you any info your need but I will not put a snapshot of speccy up, I have that program already and it seems to be a memory issue.  I used the cheap and easy solution of a 8 gb flash drive and Used ReadyBoost and it seems to be doing well.  Got the HD down and have 79GB open now.  But let me know what you would like to see, and I will copy n paste it, but no offense to you or anyone, but my Hardware is not for any google search, but I will provide only what you think you really need.

thanks man

CZARBOOM 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I because you are a member and not a forum mod, which is what I am, will give you any info your need but I will not put a snapshot of speccy up

I have been a contributing member here since the 4th of March 2005 and had been an advisor for several years.  There are a couple of us who contribute regularly who were advisors at one time, for this reason I would suggest not judging our qualifications based on a member title. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

czarboom, If you choose not to post a Speccy log that is your choice. The fact that dc3 is not a staff member here at Bleeping Computer has no bearing on his expertise and as he stated qualifications are not tied to a member title.

There are more members than there are staff. Bleeping Computer staff simply cannot read and respond to every post. We rely on our members to do the majority of helping.  There are many members who ask for Speccy and other logs, they know how to interpret them. On the flip side, there are staff members who have no clue how to interpret the logs.  Would you have said the same thing if  a moderator had asked for a Speccy log?

Yes, you can post what you think is needed. Keep in mind that the person helping you is asking for more information he/she thinks is needed. Just like anything else, it may or may not tell us more.

Your main concern seems to be hardware and being indexed on Google. Knowing what your operating system or sound card, etc are poses no threat, but I do respect the fact that you want to keep it private.

However, you are doing yourself a disservice by dismissing someone who is not a "moderator" or Bleeping Computer staff member.

#8 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:44 AM

Queen

Again, not trying to do that, but since you vouch for him, and he too seems to be a avid poster I would love to get his expert info.  I take help all the time, but you go to be sure someone is not leading you down a path that you don’t want to go down.  I understand your concern but I work in a industry where the only trust is distrust.

Arach,

If you still would I will post or attach my speccy file on here.  As I said above, I just want to be sure that I’m getting good advice, not some hack in his moms basement trying to screw me, I understand I reached out to you, but Id rather have a few people tell me that your straight then learn the other way, you know.  And over all its never a title thing, I have learned by doing that, I either get a  response like you posted, meaning you are who you say you are, or nothing at all which means it was someone trying to hose me.  Glad you are one of the good guys and here is that file you asked for.  If you need something else I would be happy to hang out and learn a thing or two. 

Side note, I used windows ready boost on a flash drive to give me some memory back and so far it’s working.

Thanks again

Speccy Files as of 25Nov2013 0135 cst.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/egbgwbrsUbJJl0ZHhy3iDQi

again thanks for the help and my paranoia is due to my current and former lines of work, old habits are hard to break, especially when you computer is broken.

CZARBOOM 

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

One of the items I wanted the Speccy for was to see the state of the hdd.  You have 27% free space on the C: drive, this is better than I was expecting to see after reading your topic in the Malwarebytes forum.  The rest of the specs look good, so I don't believe there is an issue with the hdd.

You indicated that the computer was faster in Safe Mode.  When running in Safe Mode only the basic files and drivers are running, this leads to the possibility that there could be a problem with a third party driver, service, or startup item causing this.  For this reason I would like you to run a Clean Boot to see if we can find the culprit.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

msconfig2_zps2e854ee3.png

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

Cleanboot_zps3b042516.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  By disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

cleanboot16_zps67072642.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

czarboom, I totally understand wanting to make sure you get the BEST and most RELIABLE advice.
We have a lot of experienced eyes on the forum. Those eyes will let us know real quick if someone is giving iffy advice/suggestions.

#11 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:25 AM

Queen,

I know its just as I came from Malewarebytes forum I got use to only dealing with moderators and such, but thanks for understanding

Arach,

Thank you, didnt think to do that.... that is what I was looking for.  Question before I start, this will not wipe anything, all your instructing is too disable all non microsoft items and services in normal mode and see if this issue gets better?   Correct.

thanks

CZARBOOM 

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Yes, this is done in normal mode.  You read what I wrote about Safe Mode, so you should understand why a Clean Boot can't be effectively done there.

The Clean Boot will not effect your data, files, photos, etc.

After you have completed Step 3 and restarted the computer the problem will not reoccur if it is a Service which is causing this.  At this point you will start the process of elimination to determine which service is the culprit.

If the problem continues after the restart you will need to try this with the Startup.

#13 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:55 AM

Ok doing this in T minus 30mikes.... in college while I work, so time is hard to come by, I will let you know when this finishes good or BAD..... NO whammy no whammy also it will take awhile, I will say, (i forgot this because I came over from Malewarebytes forums, to here.  I did find a service in task manager that was hogging resources and the file was locked.)  It was a combo of a exe and the family feud game I got 5 yrs ago in the McDonalds Monopoly game they do.  The issue was it was trying to send out, and I have all Remote and out bound (unless I gave the go ahead) blocked.... so the program kept creating threads (up two 47 of them) and I found it and Malewarebytes got it. 

So here is the question, how will I know if it’s working or not.  Meaning if you reboot Win 7 three times, it resets the RAM cached, and will look like it worked, when it didn’t. 
For sake of what we are doing, I will include the current with Ready Boost and when I reboot with out Ready Boost, I will also do all testing without Ready Boost.

This image is with using a Flash Drive with Ready Boost but as you can see the cache is slowly hogging up the RAM, and will get to a point when I get BSOD and a reboot, this wouldn’t be a issue if Windows would release the RAM like it says it does, but I have found it does not.

So here is the images with and without Ready Boost Flash Drive RAM.
With ready Boost

Without ReadyBoost after Restart

As you can see its only been up 11 mins, and it started with Free RAM at 1018 or so, then it will keep dropping until the system crashed.  When I used Ready Boost it works but its slowly stating this process again and that is what we need to figure out. 

My default is to restart the OS 3 times in a row, because that is how windows configures when the system in Optimized conditions, and what RAM is auto loaded as super or pre fetch for Cashe..  but I want to know why its taking the rest with it and not giving it back….. You know.

Thanks and I will post the results in a few

CZARBOOM 

#14 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:19 AM

sorry here are the pics, couldnt get them in there, O well

http://rapidshare.com/share/860CFB2F3ACD1C90D3A19D4DF719782B

with and without ready boost. 

As of 110 am CST USA, I now have the following RAM 69 mb free,

something is worng in Gothom below is the text, for whatever reason, jpg, gif, and png files are not loading to site.

thank

Physical Memory (MB) 
Total 4056        Handles 19951 
Cathed 1625       Threads 841 
Available 1665    Processes 64 
Free 69           Up Time 0:00:52:02 
                  Commit (MB) 2004/8110 
Kernel Memory (MB) 
Paged 226 
Nonpaged 73  
‘Resource Monitor... 1 Memory 2.33 GB System

CZARBOOM 

#15 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

so here is some info you asked for, but alas I only had 5 items running in MSconfig. 

LISTED -Microsoft Services

Service                                                 Manufacturer                              Status                          Date Disabled 

AVGIDSAgent                                       AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.       Running

AVG WatchDog                                     AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.       Stopped

Secunia PSI Agent                                Secunia                                      Stopped

Secunia Update Agent                          Secunia                                      Stopped

Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service         Unknown                                     Stopped

So I got all stopped, AVG didnt like it, but I figured it out. 

If either AVG or Dell Wireless WLAN are running then I get a memory leak that drive up the Cache RAM and eats up all the Free ram.

Spent a few hrs going through resource monitor and I have screen shots of before and when I started to disable the above services.  Over all "even if I turn off my WiFi adapter" There seems to be a slow leak.

Spent some time online and the Dell Wireless WLAN, is not needed to run, and I am updating it just to be sure, that was one reported isssue from more than one person.  But a yr old issue....

AVG, with 2014 Free edition, more than one person (and with 2013)  there seems to be a issue with Windows 7 x64 editions, and AVG support keeps asking for log after log, but does nothing to answer the questions of WHY?  Seems like they dont know, with one support person saying "if that does not work you will need to do a Clean install"  Either way Im dumping them, If I remember I seemed to like AVANTS (sic) better anyway. 

Anything you need from me by way of files please let me know.  I still have the computer act up and start to freeze and run super slow, and that is with 2GB added by way of Ready Boost, the ONLY FIX I have found so far

1.  Restart Windows 3 times.

2.  Each time as soon as you log in, shutdown as fast as you can.

3.  After 3 times start as normal, windows logs 3 restarts as it being optimized and only allows the Super/Prefetch to ask for a little memory.

This does work, but Im sure that AVG is grabbing and eating it , anything that you got to help let me know and thanks for the help so far.

CZARBOOM 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users